Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Broader Reach and Influence of the GWF?

LEUZEWOOD

As some of you may have seen, I recently started a thread 'On this day 1916...a letter home' in the soldiers section, the story of my great grandfather told through the letters of Sister Lucy Deakin, you can read the thread here...

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199507

As a consequence I have been approached by a fellow GWF member who is Education Coordinator at the CWGC. They would like to feature the letters as a case study in their future plans for teachers' lesson activities.

On a personal level this of course gives me a feeling of great honour and pride that my great grandfather's story can reach a wider audience and play a part in the education of young minds, but also for me it is a real endorsement of this fantastic forum and the many knowledgable and interesting people that populate it.

When I first joined the forum, I'm sure I could be forgiven for thinking that it was operating within a little bubble, a niche perhaps, but quite clearly I was wrong, and I'm sure there are many of you working much more actively than I to keep the memory of the great war alive for future generations to come.

Anyway, my apologies for the long winded post, I just wanted to express my thanks to the forum and all the helpful people who have patiently replied to my often spurious, and sometimes self indulgent questions.

Tom

Thanks again Tom-on-the-Somme, for allowing the CWGC to share your story.

You are absolutely correct about the forum-I’ve met some amazing people through here and have been helped on numerous occasions with my family history research, academic research and now even for work. The level of knowledge the people on the forum have is immeasurable and I would love to be able to harness some this so that students can benefit and as Tom says, keep the memory of the Great war alive.

If anyone else has a similar story of a particular soldier, worker or volunteer they would be happy to share, I would be extremely grateful for the details. I am hoping to create lesson activities which will allow students to develop a better understanding of the war, including the average soldier's experience, the diversity in their roles, the diversity in those involved in the war and how the war effected those not directly involved-like in Sister Lucy Deakin's case the effect her letters would have had on Thomas' widow.

Thanks again,

Kate Marshall

kate.marshall@cwgc.org

As some of you may have seen, I recently started a thread 'On this day 1916...a letter home' in the soldiers section, the story of my great grandfather told through the letters of Sister Lucy Deakin, you can read the thread here...

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199507

As a consequence I have been approached by a fellow GWF member who is Education Coordinator at the CWGC. They would like to feature the letters as a case study in their future plans for teachers' lesson activities.

On a personal level this of course gives me a feeling of great honour and pride that my great grandfather's story can reach a wider audience and play a part in the education of young minds, but also for me it is a real endorsement of this fantastic forum and the many knowledgable and interesting people that populate it.

When I first joined the forum, I'm sure I could be forgiven for thinking that it was operating within a little bubble, a niche perhaps, but quite clearly I was wrong, and I'm sure there are many of you working much more actively than I to keep the memory of the great war alive for future generations to come.

Anyway, my apologies for the long winded post, I just wanted to express my thanks to the forum and all the helpful people who have patiently replied to my often spurious, and sometimes self indulgent questions.

Tom

Tom, don't apologise; 'a letter home..' is an epic post and I've learned so much from it. I'm even going to photograph Lucy's village across the bay if I get a clear day. That said with my photographic talent I'll probably point the camera at the Lake District.....

Thanks again Tom-on-the-Somme, for allowing the CWGC to share your story.

You are absolutely correct about the forum-I’ve met some amazing people through here and have been helped on numerous occasions with my family history research, academic research and now even for work. The level of knowledge the people on the forum have is immeasurable and I would love to be able to harness some this so that students can benefit and as Tom says, keep the memory of the Great war alive.

If anyone else has a similar story of a particular soldier, worker or volunteer they would be happy to share, I would be extremely grateful for the details. I am hoping to create lesson activities which will allow students to develop a better understanding of the war, including the average soldier's experience, the diversity in their roles, the diversity in those involved in the war and how the war effected those not directly involved-like in Sister Lucy Deakin's case the effect her letters would have had on Thomas' widow.

Thanks again,

Kate Marshall

kate.marshall@cwgc.org

Kate

I'm sure you've seen this letter thread from ages ago but just in case you haven't can I suggest that you check out a post I've added to Tom's 'a letter home'? It's got a link (to a link) which might contain a few things of interest. The route back to the post from 2005 is becoming a bit convoluted but I didn't want to take this off topic and I have difficulty with the word 'poignant' when searching for the original. If you get lost trying to follow my directions (and you won't be the first) let me know and I'll dig out the direct link.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the link reminder, just began reading them, but best I read the emotional threads at home- not in work where I may blub!

Kate

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the link reminder, just began reading them, but best I read the emotional threads at home- not in work where I may blub!

Kate

Sorry Kate, I should have reiterated the health and safety hanky warning. I really hope there is something you can use; keep us posted.

Pete.

I'm even going to photograph Lucy's village across the bay if I get a clear day. That said with my photographic talent I'll probably point the camera at the Lake District.....

Hi Pete,

All things being well we should be making the trip up to see Lucy in Llysfaen the week after next. I'll report back about our visit in due course, I'm sure it will be a moving experience to finally be able to pay our respects.

Tom

Hi Pete,

All things being well we should be making the trip up to see Lucy in Llysfaen the week after next. I'll report back about our visit in due course, I'm sure it will be a moving experience to finally be able to pay our respects.

Tom

Tom, that's great news. Do let me and the other friends and admirers of Lucy Deakin know how it goes. From what I can tell from Google Llysfaen looks a beautiful spot with views out across the bay.