Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I could really use some help with uniform identification PLEASE :)

DarkHuntress101

I have a photo of my great grandad Percy Snape here , and could really use some help as I can't find his information on the Medal Rolls.

I know he was an "old contemptible" as he had a 1914 star and an old contemptble association pin badge.

I think because of the spur attatchments he was in the Royal Horse Artillery.

Could anyone tell me what all the insignias mean on his uniform?

post-101918-0-73439500-1378983393_thumb.

Royal Artillery of some form (the spurs don't necessarily mean Royal Horse Artillery).

One wound stripe (the vertical strip on his cuff)

Two Good Conduct badges (inverted chevrons on cuff) - someone will tell you length of service that denotes

Lance Bombardier (Lance Corporal) - chevron on upper sleeve.

The photograph is taken after 1916 - he bears one wound stripe on the lower left arm just below his two good conduct stripes (5 years). He is in the Artillery and he is also a Bombardier (in WW2 this would be a Lance-Bombardier rank).

Steve.

Thank you for your help.

I thought it was RHA because he's carrying a riding crop too

Apart from the really heavy guns that operated a few miles behind the lines (which were operated by the Royal Garrison Artillery) the rest of the artillery (medium - Field Artillery & light - Horse Artillery) during the First World War was pulled by teams of horses. Even the RGA used horses for some of their functions.

Steve.

Thank you for your help.

I thought it was RHA because he's carrying a riding crop too

Many studio photographers kept swagger sticks and riding crops for their subjects to hold whilst being photographed. (it helped keep their hands still) Other props for civilians included books, scrolls, posh walking sticks etc.

I can only see one Percy Snape on the MICs with the RFA #231310 overseas post 31st December 1915.

Do you still have the 1914 Star? If so there should be his service number stamped on the reverse

jon

Confiming Kevin's post above, my Great Grandfather was appointed Lance Bombardier from 12th August 1917.

The shoulder title may read RHA, RFA or RGA

my Great Grandfather was appointed Lance Bombardier from 12th August 1917.

As I posted he would have been appointed paid or unpaid Acting Bombardier before Nov. 1917 and a ref made in records after that date for the name change.

I agree that RFA 231310 is the most likely candidate if this is definitely a photo of Percy Snape.

Kevin

As I posted he would have been appointed paid or unpaid Acting Bombardier before Nov. 1917 and a ref made in records after that date for the name change.

I agree that RFA 231310 is the most likely candidate if this is definitely a photo of Percy Snape.

Kevin

Yes it is 100% him. He gave the photo of himself to my mother.

The two GC badges = minimum 5 years service, possibly as much as almost 12 [next badge]

Would you agree a regular - considering the T.F. weren't authorised G.C. Badges until 1916 under ACI 1582 of the 13th August 1916 in which only 'embodied' service was the factor for it being worn??

Would you agree a regular - considering the T.F. weren't authorised G.C. Badges until 1916 under ACI 1582 of the 13th August 1916 in which only 'embodied' service was the factor for it being worn??

Yes I agree if the rules were followed!

Many studio photographers kept swagger sticks and riding crops for their subjects to hold whilst being photographed. (it helped keep their hands still) Other props for civilians included books, scrolls, posh walking sticks etc.

Whilst not entirely disagreeing with the observation and the use of props in photographic studios, are you aware of Regimental Standing Orders and the term 'Walking Out Dress'? In the case of the latter a 'cane/swagger stick' had to be carried on leaving Barracks, as part of that Dress, the omission of which would result in being denied exit from the Barracks and possibly being placed on a charge for being 'improperly dressed'. Hence the addition of large mirrors in Guard Rooms to ensure you weren't improperly dressed.

Whilst not entirely disagreeing with the observation and the use of props in photographic studios, are you aware of Regimental Standing Orders and the term 'Walking Out Dress'? In the case of the latter a 'cane/swagger stick' had to be carried on leaving Barracks, as part of that Dress, the omission of which would result in being denied exit from the Barracks and possibly being placed on a charge for being 'improperly dressed'. Hence the addition of large mirrors in Guard Rooms to ensure you weren't improperly dressed.

Not to mention the urban myth [or was it?] about a mirror on the doorstep for Scottish kilted regiments to make sure that ..............................

• 4 weeks later...

Totally agree old friend. The need for a studio prop was rare and more likely in France than at home.