Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Charles Smith DCM Railways

markg1

Hi

This is my first post and I’d be grateful for some help and advice . I’m researching my great grandfather Corporal Charles Smith (1888-1966). Charles was employed on the Great Eastern Railway in Cambridgeshire/Essex. He worked his way up from engine cleaner to engine driver. I have the service records from Ancestry and the MIC. Charles was attested into the Royal Engineers in December 1914 and saw service in France from July 1915. The MIC gives two regimental numbers 58166 and WR/251270.

I have attached a photo, on the back of which is written of "Charles Smith and his mates".

Charles was awarded the DCM, the citation and the amendment are set out below. The DCM remains in the possession of a relative.

I am interested in finding out more about the incident which gave rise to the award e.g. date and location. Is there any additional source which I could consult to get more detail? I had thought about the War Diaries, but was unsure which ones to read given that he was in the RE in the Railway Operating Division. I understand that there is also a book on DCM recipients, and wondered whether that would shed anymore light.

Supplement to the London Gazette, 3 October, 1918. 11680

W.R. 251270 Cpl. C. Smith, R.E., attd. R.G.A. (Cambridge). For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When a truck containing ammunition was set on fire and one shell had already exploded, he mounted the burning truck amidst exploding cartridges and extinguished the fire, throwing out whole live cartridges. His action prevented further shells from exploding and dumps in the vicinity from igniting.

Supplement to the London Gazette, 12 March, 1919. 3393

Amendments

WR./251270 Cpl. C. Smith, Rly. Oper. Div.,R.E., attd. 336th) Sge. By., R.G.A. (Cambridge). (London Gazette, dated 3rd October,1918.)

Many thanks

Mark

post-100903-0-52485300-1377501792_thumb.

• Admin

I don't have a date but he was attached to the 336th Siege Battery RGA. 336 SB was part of 91st Heavy Artillery Group in 1918. I'd imagine something this unusal would warrant an entry in the war diary which is at Kew in WO 95/231 It hasnt been digitised and is not likely to be for some time so you'd need to visit Kew or get someone to look it up if no-one else here has it.

WO391 usually shows date and place for DCM awards but unfortunately WO391-6 does not show a date for Charles Smith's award :(

Other awards on the same Gazette would appear to date it in the March/April/May 1918 period.

The oldest man in the photo (biggest moustache) has a Norfolk Regiment badge. The others look like Engineers though the man smoking the pipe could possibly be Northamptonshire Regiment or Essex Regiment.

Steve.