Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal engineers identification

Sjones81

Hello

The armbands look like blue and white, which would indicate a unit of the RE Signal Service. I don't think any other parts of the RE used distinguishing armbands, though if attached to a Corps or Army HQ they might wear an armband relating to the level of the formation.

The size of the group suggests that it might be an air-line section, or one of the brigade sections of a Divisional Signal Company. In the absence of an identification of any of the men (particularly the officer in the centre), or some kid of sign indicating the unit, I doubt that you will be able to make a more positive identification of the unit.

Ron

Their arm bands could hold the clue, so perhaps a closer look in that direction if at all possible. There is what appears to be writing on the building to the left. I would say this is somewhere in France. I can see Overseas Service Chevrons on a couple of the fellows, the chevrons all appear to be blue, so no 1914 service. IIRR the chevrons were issued in the spring of 1918

Jon

Rather random, but is the writing on the wall German, rather than French. (French letters look different to german ones ...)

I found out just now that on the original photo of the company it says 'tank sig coy'. Does that make sense to anyone?

Cheers

Might narrow it down, then - presumably a Signal Company attached to a Tank Corps ouitfit of some sort.

1st Tank Brigade Signals Company - 01/02/1919 - 28/02/1919

3rd Tank Brigade Signals Company - 27/08/1917 - 10/05/1919

5th Tank Brigade Signals Company - 14/06/1918 - 30/09/1918 and 01/11/1918 - 18/12/1918

6th Tank Brigade Signals Company - 01/11/1918 - 30/04/1919

The above information is all I have on these brigades, this was taken from the RE museum and relates to unit war diaries. Looking through my list of BAOR units I can find nothing that may relate to any of the above. Would like a closer look at the lettering on the building

Jon

The signal companies provided telephone communications between the tank battalions and their HQs.

A number of Tank Corps soldiers transferred to the Sappers in the latter part of the war.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the royal engineers archives were unable to help me with the indentification of my grandads unit. So I'm presuming as it said tank sig coy on the back of one of the photos that it could be one of a few of the tank signal company's. But I don't know my grandads enlistment date.

• 5 months later...

I'm still stuck on this one and not getting far. Is there any war diaries for the tank signal companies? What are the chances of any of them mentioning his name?

I'm still stuck on this one and not getting far. Is there any war diaries for the tank signal companies? What are the chances of any of them mentioning his name?

The RE library at Chatham hold war diaries for 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th Tank Brigade Signal Companies. A copy of the 1st TBSC diary is also held at TNA in WO 95/100. The chances of finding your man depends largely on luck I'm afraid.

TR

Thanks for that. I hope I have some luck because I'm running out of ideas and hitting a brick wall.

I take it the diaries haven't been digitalised at the RE library?