Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fear of Zeppelin Raids in 1914 London

Warwick

Following a quote in one of my Great Great Uncles letters, Johnboy has asked me to confirm the date of the quote and I thought it justified a separate thread...

His letters indicate that he was in London during 1914 pursuing a career on the stage. With the outbreak of war the theatres were hit hard, he comments on the 12 October 1914 that "I really don't see how they can possibly keep open, especially with a company like ours which has sixty people on stage + 35 if an orchestra, to say nothing of a tremendous staff. London is now like a dungeon at night fearing the zeppelin raids and it is said that not a theatre in London will be open in Town by November if the present gloom prevails". Quote WARWICK

The first Zeppelin raid on Britain was 19/1/15 along the east coast. The first raid on London was 31/5/15.
If your date [12/10/14] is correct it would suggest that these raids were expected and that Britain knew the German plans. I have an ebook somewhere on my pc re air defences, I will try and look it out and see when Britain first started its planning

Can you confirm the date for me please Warwick?

Here is a scan of Derek Oldhams letter home to his parents on the 12th October 1914, which not only confirm the date of the quote, but also that blackout conditions where in force in London in Oct 1914, searchlights were being used and people were already thinking about the Underground Stations being a safe haven in the event of attack!

Enjoy!

Warwick

post-93893-0-40643000-1376948915_thumb.j

post-93893-0-51444800-1376948916_thumb.j

post-93893-0-60136600-1376948917_thumb.j

post-93893-0-76802200-1376948918_thumb.j

post-93893-0-89321900-1376948919_thumb.j

post-93893-0-88197900-1376948920_thumb.j

Edited by Warwick

Thanks for the info Sepoy, The link appears to lock me out without user ID!

I am interested in finding out when Britain became aware of the zeppelin threat.

Thanks for the letter Warwick. I did not doubt the date but just wanted confirmation. Now I have seen it with my own eyes!! Some of the other stuff also makes good reading.

Here is a scan of Derek Oldhams letter home to his parents on the 12th October 1914, which not only confirm the date of the quote, but also that blackout conditions where in force in London in Oct 1914, searchlights were being used and people were already thinking about the Underground Stations being a safe haven in the event of attack!

Hi Warwick - The Government introduced blackout arrangements for London to commence on 1st October 1914 which tallies in nicely with the letter. Part of these arrangements was the use of black paint to obscure part of the street lights, adding a dismal gloom in the city. The Governement actually feared air attack from Day 1 of the war, not fully appreciating that German airships were not really up to the task at that stage, or in sufficient numbers. Three guns were placed on roofs in Westminster and were ready for action on August 8th 1914.

Using Underground stations did not seem to have become common during the Zeppelin raids - perhaps if the Germans had managed to get a number of airships over central London at the same time people would have used them - but there was no official warning system in place until 1917 so by the time someone saw a Zeppelin it was already passing - and if it wasn't directly above them and about to drop bombs on them, then people were almost mesmerised and stopped to watch. The arrival of the Gotha bomber raids in June 1917 focused attention on the Underground stations and then they became very popular. as many as 300,000 people were reported to be using them by the end of September 1917.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for that Ian. I had heard the same but could not find it in print.

The early 'alarm' warning was by by polcemen on bikes ringing their bells!

Based on this, it is not hard to see why World War 2 strategists believed that a war could be won through the destruction of civilian morale brought about by bombing! Very interesting read - thank you for sharing!

H G Wells had written a novel entitled "The War in the Air" in which a mass Zeppelin raid on New York is vividly described. Published in 1908 it had a wide readership and caused much discussion (including in Parliament and in defence circles). Much more influential than the Land Ironclads. Large scale Zeppelin raids on major cities were anticipated in 1914 (much as mass air raids were in 1939)

I understand that Government's the obsessive secrecy over the actions of the BEF in the early days of the war caused a great deal of frustration in the press which was uncertain what they were permitted to report. Instead, they looked for exciting stories elsewhere and the threat of air raids at home were perfect for underlining the barbaric actions of the dreadful Hun.

It is hardly surprising that these lurid tales created an exaggerated fear and anxiety in London and elsewhere.

Alec

Given the interest in early preparations for war, I thought the following might be of interest...

In a letter home to his father in Accrington on the 2nd August 1914 (2 days before the British declaration of war) Derek Oldham writes from his rented flat in Chelsea Gardens:

"London is topsy turvey with excitement of this coming war. Here in Chelsea it seems very near because the barracks are in the next block to us and all is excitement there. All leave is suspended and for the last 2 nights, no soldiers have been allowed out of barracks."

Already there is talk of the future effects of war and Derek was concerned about the theatres closing:

"I hope it won't affect any of us much, but everything is bound to be dearer and trade worse.

If theatrical matters come to a standstill I think we shall all have to enlist or something, and come home with V.C.s"

Such optimism was not to last long!

Regards

Warwick

Everything you need to know about the 'scareship' mentality is dealt with on the blog:

http://airminded.org/

which includes a number of papers on the subject

Not everything - I have found phantom airship reports not covered in it

What I find interesting in this thread is that the possibility of air attack was known but practically nothing had been done prior to the declaration of war to develop a defence against it. Some of the first attempts strike me as being close to flailing about in the dark, such as the use of one-pounder pom-pom guns that fired solid shells and needed their own production line as the ammunition was unique. The French produced the 75-mm auto-canone earlier than our first attempt - the 13-pdr 6-cwt wasn't approved for production until early 1915 - and we had to buy some of them to allow the AA units to increase the density of fire-power to suit the routes chosen by the airships.

Keith

• Admin

No doubt an expert can give a definitive answer but as they couldn't reach Bristol I doubt it

This sketch showing the theoretical range appeared in the Times in 1914 therefore no claim to historical accuracy but it was what the people were being told at the time.

Ken

post-42838-0-21669300-1377343562_thumb.j