Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies

Frajohn

Thought you might like to see some of this year's poppy displays. Could do with a bit more sunshine for the photos but cannot be too choosey this year.

Behind Mametz Wood

9174088171_50953ade02_h.jpg

They are wonderful photo's. One day I will get back over there.

Cheers Andy.

Beautiful pictures, very jealous.

Mandy

Me too! Absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing

Judy

Magnifique!

Jonathan

Thanks. I've noticed a lot of poppies in the fields of crops here in South Yorkshire. Cannot recall seeing anything like the numbers in the 25 years I've lived here. Is there a reason for this profusion?

Edwin

I've also noticed more poppies this year in S Yorks and Notts. They must enjoy the weather patterns of late. Great pictures, theres something very moving about a field of poppies, even if it's just our projected symbolism.

Thank you for all the kind comments. I went out yesterday to take some more but the displays are beginning to fade as the crops are beginning to overtake the height of the poppies.

Chris

The camera I used for these photos is a Sony Nex7 with a variety of lenses. It is a very good lightweight, compact alternative to my Nikon DSLR

Kind regards

John

Hi Frajon.

Brilliant pictures, lets hope that there is a great show of poppies like that next year for the 100th anniversary of the Great War.

Kind Regards Andy.

What wonderful photos! I'll be there in late July and hope to see the poppies in bloom.

Fabulous photos. Thank you for posting these.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

....... I've noticed a lot of poppies in the fields of crops here in South Yorkshire. Cannot recall seeing anything like the numbers in the 25 years I've lived here. Is there a reason for this profusion?

(I garden/design gardens for my modest living) The cool wet summer of 2012, and the wet spring of 2013 have meant that all sorts of plants and shrubs have flowered better this spring/early summer than for years (at least here in West Sussex they have), and I think that the poppies are no exception. With the incredibly wet summer and autumn of 1917, I expect that 1918 may have been a similarly spectacular flowering year.

William

Terrific Photos