Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Clements

4jonboy

Hello there, I joined the forum the other day and thought I would share details of my Great Uncle who died in the Great War.

Ernest Clements

Lance Bombardier 775067

"B" Battery, 245th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Died on 10th October 1918, Aged 25

Son of Esther Clements of Bramley, Leeds; Husband of Sarah Clements of 32 Couper Street, Old Goole, East Yorkshire.

Ramillies British Cemetery, France. B.3

Originally from Leeds, Ernest married Sarah Dixon in Leeds 1913.

Their son Leslie, baptised on 17th March 1915 at Goole Parish Church.

I am attaching a photocopy of a photo I received from a member of my family. Unfortunately no one seems to know where the original is. Apologies for the poor quality. It shows Ernest and his wife Sarah, and baby Leslie. Taken around late 1915/early 1916.

Very sad, but this is the only photo that exists of Ernest.

I have read an interesting thread elsewhere on this site about 245th Brigade, so I will post any queries I may have on the thread, as I would like to understand what happened on the day Ernest was killed.

Lesley

post-99837-0-77305900-1371379739_thumb.j

He apparently died of wounds so he may not have died on the same day he was wounded

Name: Ernest Clements

Birth Place: Leeds

Death Date: 10 Oct 1918

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Leeds

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: Territorial Force

Number: 775067

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Craig

Thank you Craig for that info, I didn't know that.

Lesley

• Admin

Hi Lesley

He has a Good Conduct stripe on the bottom of his left sleeve. That means he had served for 2 years without getting caught for any misdemeanours.

Glen

Thank you Glen, I hadn't noticed that!~

Could you tell me what is the "medal" (if it is indeed a medal) hanging from his left upper pocket ?

Lesley

Could you tell me what is the "medal" (if it is indeed a medal) hanging from his left upper pocket ?

It looks low down to be a medal.

It looks similar to the locket his wife is wearing - matching lockets ?

Craig

It would appear that he was a territorial soldier, before he was renumbered in 1917 his service number was 812.

He was posted overseas in April 1915 with 49th Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/49div.htm

Craig

Thank you Craig, you guys are so quick :) .

Thanks for the other info, just starting out on ww1 (I am more knowledgeable on ww2) but since receiving the photo and getting a copy of his medal card I am eager to learn more.

Lesley

• Admin

Looks like his wife is wearing his Imperial Service badge at the throat, and are they Temperance medals maybe?

Michelle

Edit

I can't 100% promise it but I will be passing pretty close to Ramillies in a couple of weeks so I'll try and drop in to say hello

Looks like his wife is wearing his Imperial Service badge at the throat, and are they Temperance medals maybe?

Michelle

Edit

I can't 100% promise it but I will be passing pretty close to Ramillies in a couple of weeks so I'll try and drop in to say hello

Hi Michelle

Thank you very much.

I haven't a photo of his grave so it would be very much appreciated if you manage to get there.

Lesley

Lesley

Took the liberty of altering the perspective of your picture,

post-10072-0-21013000-1371382910_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you Graeme

• Admin

Ramillies is on our list Lesley

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Respects paid, please pm me your email address.

Michelle

Michelle,

A very BIG public thank you for the photo of my Great Uncle's grave and paying your respects.

No one in my family has ever seen this photo and it is very much appreciated.

Lesley

post-99837-0-41477600-1373549224_thumb.j

• Admin

My great pleasure Lesley

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

War Diary for part of October 1918 for 245th Brigade, transcribed from research at the National Archives. Copyright National Archives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I now have the war diaries for 245th Brigade, and I am almost sure that my Great Uncle, Ernest Clements (B Battery) was wounded and died on the same day, 10th October 1918.

Here is a transcript of the final three days of his war

8th October 1918-

Brigade marched to CHERISY area, and held at 24 hours notice to move

9th October 1918-

Nothing of importance to report

10th October 1918-

Brigade marched to BARALLE area starting at 8am. At 1.30pm orders received for Brigade to march to NEUVILLE-ST-REMY and to be prepared to move into action at short notice.

Brigade marched from NEUVILLE-ST-REMY at 8.30pm, to ESCAUDOEUVRES (Wagon Lines).

Batteries to proceed into action immediately, and be prepared to fire Barrage covering attack early on morning of 11th.

Batteries were heavily shelled during the march from NEUVILLE to ESCAUDOEUVRES. B/245 Battery had 14 casualties and a whole sub-section of horses knocked out.

Lesley

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me why my Great Uncle, Ernest Clements is listed TWICE in the Index to War Deaths 1914-1921 (page 698) please?

Year 1918 Vol A4 Page 333

Year 1918 Vol A8 Page 124

Is this unusual?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Lesley