The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record, 2nd Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment

reeves_colin

Private Ernest John Reeves 009482

Can anyone find the service records for my GGRandfather

He was in 2nd battalion Gloucesters from 1911 to 1916

He was discharged injured.

I have a photograph of him in uniform in my possession which I suspect is very early in his career, and also his 1914-1918 Medal which has his Name, and number on it

I have already been given some brilliant information of the activity of the 2nd Battalion between these years, and now I am hoping!!! to find some information on

Private Reeves, so that I can piece together some of his history with that of his battalion..

I have seen teh service Record for my other GGRandfather and fortunately they are in very good condition. However, I am aware that not may WW1 records survived WW2 Bombing

Thanks in advance

Colin

Hi Colin, might be worth signing up for the free 14 day trial at Ancestry.co.uk to search (but if you don't want to subscribe make sure you tick the right boxes). I believe there are WW1 records available at familysearch.org as well (just need to sign up, no subscription for this site). I'm heading off on holiday today or I would have searched Ancestry myself for you. Sorry, I'm out of time. Best of luck. (P.S. Can you post his DOB or year of birth and area he came from, might help others searching for him for you).

I cannot see a service/pensions record for him, I'm afraid. There is a SWB entry

9482 Pte Reeves, Ernest John Gloucestershire Regiment SWB No B103912 Enlisted 24/10/1910 Discharged 28/1/1919 Wounds KR Para 392 xvi

There will be an MIC I imagine?

Mike

Thank you for the addditional information on my question.

Can anybody please supply me with the War diaries for his period of service 1914 - 1919

Also, can I assume that there are Diaries in existance for the period before WW1 to cover the time spent in China, Malta and in England

Colin

• Admin

Colin

War Diaries are held at Kew in the National Archives, some can be downloaded for a modest fee.There would be a lot of pages for the period of service you are asking for. There is also the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum

http://www.glosters.org.uk/

Michelle

Regarding war diaries, as Michelle says, many are available to download. Please bear in mind that the downloaded war diaries are copyright, and shouldn't be distributed. It's OK to transcribe the relevant sections though

Alan

Hi

Many years ago,when I first started researching, I visited the Glos. Museum and, I must say, they could not have been more helpful.

I was given complete access to the War Diaries and was even shown around the museum.

I am sure the welcome will not have changed over the years, so perhaps a phone call to them will start you on your way.

(As always, a reasonable donation afterwards always helps the museum)

Regards,

Graeme

Just an added note to Graeme's post.

The Museum is still the best, all round establishment I have been to. The welcome is still

as enthusiastic as ever and they can't be more helpful. The resources they have are extensive

and the Museum is very well laid out and covers a large period in the Regiments history.

I am just glad I live nearby.

Simon.

Thank you all for the info about the museum..

I don't live too far away, only in Wiltshire. So I think I will be planning a visit very soon

Colin