Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Fear 12th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment

WendyYoung

Hello again

Can anyone please help. I am trying to find information about a relative who possibly died at the Somme.

The Details I have are :

Walter Fear - born 1882 Warminster.

12th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment

Service Number 22651

It is believed that he died in 1916 at the Somme.

I am looking all over the place but do not seem to be able to find any information about him.

Can anyone help / point me in the right direction please.

THANK YOU in advance.

Wendy x

• Admin

Only two men called Fear in the Gloucestershire regiment on the CWGC site, the 12th Btn man is buried at Bouologne Eastern cemetery, and the other in the 1/5th Btn is on Thiepval

Michelle

There is also a Pte.James Fear 142445 MGC ex Glosters also born in Dundry, Somerset, KIA 14/04/1918.

Possible relation ?

Yes, James looks to have been Henry's brother. Doesn't seem to be Walter, though. The age and family aren't right.

Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette - Saturday 19th August 1916

TWO NEWTON KILLED Private Henry Fear, of the machine gun section, Gloucestershire Regiment (Bristol's Own Battalion), died hospital in France Sunday, August 6th. He was wounded in the knee cap July 25th. but was believed to be recovering. In civilian life Private Fear was gardener to Captain Gore-Langton of the Mount, Newton St. Loe, who regarded him a valuable servant. He regularly attended the Parish Church at Newton, and Sunday morning the Rector (the Rev. P. L. Bayly) alluded to his death. After being three times previously rejected Fear enlisted September, After three months' training in England he went to France, arriving New Year's Day. He had two months experience at the base, and then went into the trenches. Here he developed jaundice and bronchitis, and was admitted to hospital in France. Five weeks later he was sent to he was sent to England, arriving on April 20th, and was sent to hospital at Clandon Park, Surrey. On June 7th returned to the front. He was 37 and leaves a widow and four young children. He had volunteered for service with the machine gun section of his regiment. Private Fear, who was a cousin of Private Billy Fear, the local Rugby footballer, has three brothers serving, Privates Arthur and James Fear both in the Gloucestershire Regiment, and Private Fred Fear, Somerset L.I. Another brother is Mr. Wm. Fear, IS, Gloucester Buildings, Lower Swainswick, who is employed on the M.R. motor lorry which runs between Bath and Bradford-on-Avon. Mrs. Fear had two brothers serving, but one, who was the Wiltshire •Regiment, has been invalided out, the other in the R.M.L.I, on warships.

Henry Fear as referred to in the above post was wounded in a trench called Duke Street which ran near Longueval to a point in front of High Wood. One of his Grandsons, Nick Fear has extensively researched his time with the battalion and in fact an HTV TV West programme under the “History Trail” series was devoted to both the service of Henry Fear and in general the history of the 12th (Bristol’s Own) in the battle of the Somme. This 30 minute programme takes Nick to the actual places the battalion fought and also traces the location where Henry Fear was wounded. Nick Fear still lives in Bristol as far as I am aware and someone on this forum may have contact details for him he may also be a member of this forum, as a matter of interest the excellent TV programme was directed by Richard Van Emden, a name which will be familiar to most members

Regards

Norman

Nice one Michelle, perhaps Wendy will keep us informed as to any progress in her search for information.

Norman

It would be nice to hear from Wendy as the information provided here by Myself, Michelle and IPT is very detailed and if indeed this is her man should prove invaluable. I must admit that if such a level of research in respect of just one man was expended for me then I would be extremely grateful to those that took the time and effort to provide it, mind you Wendy could be on holiday of course!.

Regards

Norman

• 1 month later...

Yes, James looks to have been Henry's brother. Doesn't seem to be Walter, though. The age and family aren't right.

Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette - Saturday 19th August 1916

TWO NEWTON KILLED Private Henry Fear, of the machine gun section, Gloucestershire Regiment (Bristol's Own Battalion), died hospital in France Sunday, August 6th. He was wounded in the knee cap July 25th. but was believed to be recovering. In civilian life Private Fear was gardener to Captain Gore-Langton of the Mount, Newton St. Loe, who regarded him a valuable servant. He regularly attended the Parish Church at Newton, and Sunday morning the Rector (the Rev. P. L. Bayly) alluded to his death. After being three times previously rejected Fear enlisted September, After three months' training in England he went to France, arriving New Year's Day. He had two months experience at the base, and then went into the trenches. Here he developed jaundice and bronchitis, and was admitted to hospital in France. Five weeks later he was sent to he was sent to England, arriving on April 20th, and was sent to hospital at Clandon Park, Surrey. On June 7th returned to the front. He was 37 and leaves a widow and four young children. He had volunteered for service with the machine gun section of his regiment. Private Fear, who was a cousin of Private Billy Fear, the local Rugby footballer, has three brothers serving, Privates Arthur and James Fear both in the Gloucestershire Regiment, and Private Fred Fear, Somerset L.I. Another brother is Mr. Wm. Fear, IS, Gloucester Buildings, Lower Swainswick, who is employed on the M.R. motor lorry which runs between Bath and Bradford-on-Avon. Mrs. Fear had two brothers serving, but one, who was the Wiltshire •Regiment, has been invalided out, the other in the R.M.L.I, on warships.

Billy Fear was taken prisoner during the retreat from Mons and was kept at the Doberitz POW camp.