Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

best anti mosquito spray for use in Belgium

gnr.ktrha

Hello, I'm off to Belgium with the family in the summer. Last year my children were bitten a few times by Mosquito's. Nothing bad, but to hear them complain about a slight itch did tend to take the edge of the holiday a bit! It's not as if they were being shot at or gassed etc!!! Do any members have a recommended anti mossie spray that they can recommend, for my peace of mind and sanity?

'Jungle Formula' (they now do a milder kids version)... though the liquid in a bottle version, not the spray ....served me well for years (worked a treat in Malaysia and in several heavily forested European areas, the marshes of the Somme river and the mountains of the Vosges ..... however, I got bitten like a ****** in Cambridge of all places!!!!)

Would have thought you'd be used to the Highland midges, compared to them anything else is a walk in the park

I believe the best insect repellant is the current Australian Army issue type. It's there as part of the ration entitlement when we go field.

As well as stopping the mozzie's, it will also keep away anything else that buzzes around.

Unfortunately to have this stuff shipped into the EU we would need approval from the Environmental agencies throughout Europe. You see, if you wear a plastic watch (like a G-Shock) this stuff will melt it.

Cheers, Andy.

I spent months in India using DEET wipes daily was ill for a very long time after return. Doctors put it down to chemicals. There is lots on the Internet about the dangers of insect repellants, especially for children, and I'm sure there are safe ones and also natural alternatives. Perhaps understandably I am now very wary of what I put on my skin (including certain sunscreens) as the chemicals are of course absorbed into bloodstream.

Judy

I have heard that Avon's skin so soft dry oil body spray works well against midges, as discussed by Mumsnet forum. It's a woman's product so no good for you, but will be fine on your wife and children (unless a big strapping male teen!).

Actually, I just googled it and Amazon have advertised Avon skin so soft original + Jojoba & Citronellol - 3 x 150ml Bottles - The Alternative To Insect Repellent £7.99 (but that's for three bottles). My point is, they actually advertise it as being a good isect repellent!

How about a different approach,

I brought a walking jacket (light weight bomber style) that had a label in it saying wind proof/rain proof and Mosquito repellant it was made by Trespass. Too be honest never noticed the mosquito bit until later and my walking colleagues thought it was fun to make it the butt of all their jokes all week, but whilst wearing it I have never been bitten so maybe,just maybe it works.

Dave

The Avon Skin So Soft 'Original' does work [light blue/grey container]. If mountaineers, hill walkers and the Royal Marines can lather it on without embarrassment, and they do, go for it. Certainly kept even the dreaded Glencoe midge off me while Munro bagging and kept the mosquito away from me on my recent trip to Northern France and Belgium.

Len

Thank you very much folks for all of your suggestions and advice. I have just shown my wife and I think we will try the Avon stuff and also some jungle formula. Sounds like it should do the trick. We don't tend to get too many midges in my part of sunny Perthshire, however on the West Coast, that's another matter! Their OK as long as you don't scratch as once you start you can't stop. Their the Pringles of the insect world. Regards, Stewart

I believe the best insect repellant is the current Australian Army issue type. It's there as part of the ration entitlement when we go field.

As well as stopping the mozzie's, it will also keep away anything else that buzzes around.

Unfortunately to have this stuff shipped into the EU we would need approval from the Environmental agencies throughout Europe. You see, if you wear a plastic watch (like a G-Shock) this stuff will melt it.

Cheers, Andy.

Brit and Canadian forces did use the same. Yes will strip paint :devilgrin: Deet based. As said the Avon stuff most used or be like me and have weird blood. They don't like the taste. Garlic based diet helps.

I'm very allergic to any bug, specially wasps. I use DEET 100% and it works. But as said it does ruin plastic.

Peter

Avon skin-so-soft, 9/10 Mountain rescuers swear by it! But I have heard that the formulation has changed recently and it may not be so good now, that said I have just come back from the NW of Scotland where it was well stocked in most outdoor shops.

Avon skin-so-soft, 9/10 Mountain rescuers swear by it! But I have heard that the formulation has changed recently and it may not be so good now, that said I have just come back from the NW of Scotland where it was well stocked in most outdoor shops.

The 1/10 just the hard nuts then :devilgrin:

DEET - defeats Kielder Mossies (Man eaters) et all. Used it in Africa after some good recommendations by guys who tend to go to exotic places care of HMG.

Tend to use a repellant based on bog myrtle, which is called Stop Bite. Not too bad smelling either.

My sister-in-law lives in Achnamara on the west coast of Scotland - aka Midge Central - and Avon Skin-so-Soft* is their standard everyday product against the beasties.

Sue

*Dry Oil Spray

I use a concoction produced by Bass. The draw back is you keep getting stopped by the police. Can't for the life of me understand why.

TR

Stand next to a Belgian?

There is a pretty reliable anti-mosquito repellent available and I believe the only one that assures immediate relief: post-80-0-38868000-1370455010_thumb.jpg

I've just come back from Athens, forgot to pack my Avon Skin So Soft and after being bitten to hell by mozzies asked the advice of a Greek pharmacist. I was sold some anti-mozzie bracelets and a citronella/eucalyptus/lavender spray - neither worked, so consulted my old friend Google and found that several people recommended Listerine mouthwash which did work because mozzies hate it and it's also cheaper and less toxic than Deet based products. Sprinkled it on bedclothes and dabbed on wrists, behind ears like Eau de Cologne and we all smelt very fresh and minty (other flavours are available) :) Listerine can also be put into an atomiser and sprayed around rooms, tents etc. Can also be sprayed onto a neckerchief and tied around a dogs neck if the animal is being bitten.

To soothe existing bites, and also found via Google, mix up a paste of oat flakes (porridge oats) with warm water and dab the resulting liquid on the bites - I did this (in the middle of the night!) and it is very soothing, reduced swelling and stopped the itching. You live and learn!

Edit: Another tip. Apparently mozzies dislike Vitamin C and I normally take 500 mg slow release pill per day but forgot to pack these too. I wasn't bitten the first few days but the other four members in the party were and no-one could understand why I wasn't. The Vit C must have still been in my system but once it wore off the flying beasties came after me, so maybe larger doses work rather than the normal Vit C intake from fresh fruit etc, which we were all having

Caryl

I have used Avon Skin-so-soft for years and it does work. If it's good enough for the Army it's good enough for me. A problem with (some of?) the DEET products is it attacks plastics, so using it on your hands can cause difficulties.

Very interesting hints Caryl. There is no way I'll ever touch a DEET product again so have been really interested in the alternatives - taken a note of Avon skin so soft, but will certainly try listerine. i do take 500mg of vit C daily so now thinking this could well be why mozzies are not so interested in me these days. Good info, thanks

Judy