Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE 301 or 307 road construction company?

DR1

Has any ever heard of or come accross the 301 road company (Royal Engineers)? my grandfather was in it, but links are proving elusive

Thanks

Both 301 and 307 Road Construction Companies, Royal Engineers existed. They came under the umbrella of Transportation Units.

If I could get the hang of the new fangled National Archive catalogue (Discovery), I could tell you if they had a surviving war diary, but I failed dismally.

Phil

Hello Doctor1, and welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately only two War Diaries of Road Construction Companies still exist in the National Archives:

WO 95/4057 306 Road Construction Company Royal Engineers 1917 June - July

WO 95/4057 319 Road Construction Company Royal Engineers 1917 Apr. - 1918 Sept.

I don't think that these have been digitised yet so a visit to Kew will be necessary if you want to see them.

I believe that "road" includes the gravel beds on which railway lines are laid, as my grandfather was in 319 RCC and that was his job in civilian life.

Ron

Hi

I have a great, great uncle who was in the 302 RCCRE. He was almost 40 when he joined (there's a letter releasing him from employment) and all I can think is that he had some useful skill - although he listed himself as simply a labourer in a paper mill. Beyond this I know nothing!

Tim