Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch Corner Memorial 3rd May 2014

Black Jock

Press Release

A statue of a Black Watch soldier is to be erected in Belgium to commemorate the more than 8,000 officers and soldiers who died and over 20,000 who were wounded in the costliest chapter of the world famous Regiment’s history.

The unveiling of the larger-than-life bronze statue at Black Watch Corner near Ypres in the Spring of 2014 will mark the start of four years of commemorative events recalling the sacrifices of all who fought in the First World War.

The erection of this statue, and the pilgrimage by Black Watch veterans and serving soldiers to the Flanders site that proved to be a pivotal battleground in 1914, will be the first Scottish event in the worldwide Great War centenary commemorations.

The statue of a kilted Highlander will be the first and only memorial dedicated specifically to the Black Watch fallen of the Great War and it is the only statue being erected by any of the Scottish regiments during the four years of commemorative events.

Colonel Alex Murdoch, Chairman of The Black Watch Association, explained why this particular site was chosen for the statue;

“The site chosen for the statue has been known as Black Watch Corner since the remnants of our 1st Battalion took part in a successful ground-holding action. Along with other withdrawing British forces they fought against a numerically stronger force from the Kaiser’s Prussian Guard in November 1914,” he said. “ This action brought to an end the First Battle of Ypres and their heroic stand was to prove decisive because it stopped the German advance to the coast. If they had broken through to the coast the war would have been over and lost. It seemed the most appropriate place to erect our monument to the fallen.”

“There are a number of memorials across the world to commemorate the sacrifice and endeavours of Scottish fighting formations,” explained Black Watch Association Vice-Chairman Lieutenant Colonel Roddy Riddell. “This statue will be a unique and powerful symbol of the fighting spirit of The Black Watch which lives on to this day.

“Although the battle at Black Watch Corner in Belgium in 1914 was a bloody and terrible time for the Regiment, it is heartening to know that the memory of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice will live on in Flanders. It is fitting that 100 years later we still acknowledge that sacrifice.”

The imposing statue will stand four and a half metres high, atop a base of Scottish granite and depicts a Black Watch soldier in First World War fighting uniform of kilt, jacket and bonnet with his Lee Enfield rifle and 18-inch bayonet.

It is being created by renowned Scottish sculptor Alan Herriot of Endeavour Arts Studios at Powderhall Foundry in Edinburgh. He also sculpted the bronze soldier and girl statue to the 51st Highland Division in Perth and the piper at Bruar in Perthshire. Alan said, “It is difficult nowadays, for us to appreciate the sacrifice made by those young men for King and Country. I feel that it is so important not to allow the passage of time to diminish that memory. The Black Watch is one of the finest regiments in the British Army and I consider this commission to be a signal honour.”

The statue will be unveiled and dedicated at Black Watch Corner in Belgium on Saturday, May 3, next year, prior to being handed over for safe-keeping to the townspeople of nearby Zonnebeke.

Mr Erwin Ureel, a former Belgian soldier who has been active in liaising between the local Belgian Authority and The Black Watch Association said, “The statue will be unique within the area surrounding Ypres and Zonnebeke and the local people will be immensely proud to receive and care for it into the future”.

“We hope to take over 200 serving soldiers and veterans to Belgium to attend the dedication ceremony,” explained Black Watch Association Secretary Major Ronnie Proctor. “ It will be a poignant, historic, unique and reflective act of remembrance.

“The Black Watch is the only Scottish regiment erecting a statue in Flanders to commemorate the centenary of the Great War and we believe it will become a focus of commemoration in years to come for both visitors from Britain and the people of Belgium."

The Black Watch Association plan four years of commemorative events based on landmarks pertinent to individual District Branches.

“For example, in 2015 the Dundee Branch of the Association is organising an event to mark the centenary of the Battle of Loos because so many Angus and Dundee people perished in that battle,” explained Major Proctor. “In 2016, the Fife Branch will commemorate the battles on Vimy Ridge and the Angus Branch will lead in 2017, marking the centenary of the awarding of the Victoria Cross to Black Watch soldier Charles Melvin at the Battle of Istabulat in Mesopotamia. In 2018 the Perth Branch will commemorate the awarding of the Croix de Guerre by the French Army to the 6th Battalion Black Watch following the Battle of Tardenois.”

“These will be comradeship events such as dinners and allow the Black Watch family to come together to mark events which are carved into the heart of the Regiment’s history.”

• 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me the timings of the forthcoming ceremony? I will be there taking children of relatives and a photographer but need to sort my plans out.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm looking forward to visiting it on my next school battlefields tour. Our piper has family connections to the Black Watch.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone got any sort of timings for the event? I am coming across with my son and Dad. Are any of the local Belgium bands playing at it?
Regards,
Stewart

Now that is a sculpture and more.

TT

Has anyone got any sort of timings for the event? I am coming across with my son and Dad. Are any of the local Belgium bands playing at it?

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

if you get in touch with Major Ronnie Proctor at the Regimental Museum in Perth they have the timings, have you been on the Blairgowrie & Rattray site?

Joe

• 1 year later...

I was there last week (Wednesday) and visited. Thought thee photos might be of interest. I thought it a very fine memorial.

Ypres%2015%20136.jpg

Ypres%2015%20141.jpg

Ypres%2015%20137.jpg

Ypres%2015%20133.jpg

When we visited, there was a young lad there, playing the pipes. Given he was obviously a learner he didn't do so bad, and when he gave us a bit of "Flowers of the Forest", I suspect I wasn't the only one feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention!