Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Have you ever been gobsmacked?

temptage

I have , and it happened a few days back.

I received a very nice PM from a Forum member.

She informed me that her Grandfather had recently been accepted as an 'In From The Cold' commemoration by the CWGC and that she had seen my 'signature' at the bottom of one of my posts and had added it to a list of possible wordings for her grandfathers headstone.

From the list of 20 plus, she and her 3 daughters finally chose my words to be carved on his headstone.

And thats when I became utterly and totally gobsmacked when the realisation hit me that MY words would be forever carved on HIS headstone.

Quite humbling really when you have that effect on someone else, without realising it.

I thought it up one evening while watching the sun set over the Military graves in my local Cemetery. I suppose it was my own version of the 'Silent Cities'

Thanks Sue. I am truly humbled.

You must feel proud as well as humbled, not to mention gobsmacked.

I hope you'll be able to visit the grave some time

cheers Martin B

Certainly is an honour Temptage, well done :thumbsup:

Martin, you are correct in your assumption. I forgot to mention PROUD

The CWGC have told her that is should be in place within 18 months. His grave is in Coventry, so just a couple of hours down the road from me, so a visit will very much be on the cards.

That is a feel-good post if ever there was one! Congratulations.

I will post a picture of his gravestone as soon as it is erected. His three year old daughter, Frances, was

buried with him two years afterwards. He left a wife and seven other children.

We thought the words were perfect. Perhaps we should rename Temptage - Mr Sassoon.

Thank you for all your kind comments.

Sue

I have , and it happened a few days back.

I received a very nice PM from a Forum member.

She informed me that her Grandfather had recently been accepted as an 'In From The Cold' commemoration by the CWGC and that she had seen my 'signature' at the bottom of one of my posts and had added it to a list of possible wordings for her grandfathers headstone.

From the list of 20 plus, she and her 3 daughters finally chose my words to be carved on his headstone.

And thats when I became utterly and totally gobsmacked when the realisation hit me that MY words would be forever carved on HIS headstone.

Quite humbling really when you have that effect on someone else, without realising it.

I thought it up one evening while watching the sun set over the Military graves in my local Cemetery. I suppose it was my own version of the 'Silent Cities'

Thanks Sue. I am truly humbled.

why not - they are really good simple effective words, well done

Very nice words they are too, I thought it was a quote you'd heard somewhere.

Very hmbling indeed.

Siegfried Sassoon - not unless I'm a poet, and didn't know it!!!

Maybe the new Kipling. Knock his words off the Remembrance Stones and stick mine on there instead. :thumbsup: Maybe not!

I wouldn't mind being named after a cake company. :P

Thank you to everyone for their kind words. It just goes to show how one little thing can mean so much to others.

• 2 weeks later...