Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bayonet marking, unit?

auchonvillerssomme

Can anyone guide me on this one. 10. P. 2. 197. Thanks.

post-11859-0-82620100-1366396058_thumb.j

I'll wait to be corrected but according to this basic guide possibly: 10th Pioneer Regiment, 2 Company, weapon 197.

Chris is onto it. :thumbsup: I think this mob ... the Hannoversches Pionier-Bataillon Nr.10 , 2nd Kompanie , Waffe Nr.197

The sawback bayonets were more commonly issued to the Pioneer units, as they often needed them in their work.

Cheers, S>S

Thank you, it was picked up, we think, near Arras by the Chaplains Batman of 6th Y&L's.

• 10 months later...

I think I have finally got back to the first post I did not see after my incident back in 2013!

So, a very lovely and nicely desirable marked high ears job.... And just to help those who like such minituae, year? maker?

I'll make a guess - W/06 or W/08? Erfurt maker?

SS is quite right on the P for pioneer, but let us not forget that sawbacks went to other units also, apparently for NCO use.

Auchonvillerssomme,

A few more bits and pieces to add...

The Hannoversches Pionier-Bataillon Nr.10, 2. Kompanie was with the 20.Infanterie Division, the X. Armeekorps, 2. Armee, 1914-1918, which did move to the East and back a few times before ending up in 1918 in the west. Don't do divisional histories per se, but was your 6th Y&L's ever against the 20.Division? I.e., does the location of the division fit with the possible Arras provenience for this bayonet? Incidentally, the unit could trace their origins back to 1804 (as the Königlich Hannoverschen Ingenieur-Korps) and I gather that they had the Garrison honours "Gibraltar" and the Battle Honours "Peninsula" and "Waterloo" on their flag (there is, if you don't know it, a great column commemorating the latter in Hannover, the Waterloo Column!).

There is a nice 1915 (Minden) studio photo of a unit member, Willi Peyer, on http://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/3099204089/ - with a 98/05 m.S, and given the date, probably a high ears, which it does seem to be in the photo; and there is a group photo of the 2. OR 4.Kompanie captioned 'Weltkrieg 1914', while at Brunsbuttelkoog (Belgium?), on Hannoversches Pionier-Bataillon Nr.10 - and the visible bayonets all seem to my eyes to be pionier faschinenmesser 1871...!!!

Best

• 2 weeks later...

Trajan, many thanks for that, I haven't researched his unit but the man who brought it home wouldn't necessarily of picked it up immediately after an action, it is fairly battered, he used it in the garden!

Still a nice piece! Wouldn't mind finding that in a garden!!!