Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Compulsory Posting out of RFC a week before the formation of RAF

rolt968

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but the question at least starts in the RFC.

1 AM Charles S Byars (23604) was compulsorily transferred from the RFC to 4 Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (an Extra Reserve Battalion) on 23 March 1918. He was to retain his rank(?) and pay rate.

The only document in his Air79 record is a single sheet which acknowledges receipt of his records and gives the information above. It quotes ACI/2086/16 and AO691 as authority for his transfer. His new number was S/24402. No RFC/army record has survived.

His MIC (BWM & Victory Medal) shows his rank as Pte and only shows service with the Argylls (but not which battalion). I conclude he did not serve overseas with the RFC.

Can anyone suggest why he was transferred.

The date is doubly significant.

The RAF was formed a week later. It was also a time of infantry man power shortage when fit men were being "combed" out for service at the front.

When I found all this at the National Archives a year or so ago I tried to find the two documents mentioned without success.

Can anyone help?

Roger.

The Royal Air Force was a new and distinct service. Although it was intended that essentially all of the Royal Flying Corps (part of the Army) and the Royal Naval Air Service (part of the Navy) would be folded into the RAF, no officer or other rank could be transferred without his approval. Thus everyone was required to sign a form of some sort agreeing to the transfer. Those who refused were liable to be remustered into their original service; that is, either the Army or the Navy.

I do not know if this happened in your fellow's case, but it is one possibility.

It would be more understandable if there was an oversupply of 1AMs in the RFC at that stage. I`d find it surprising as I assume that 1AMs were quite highly skilled in their speciality. On the other hand, one imagines a man would prefer the life of a 1AM to that of an infantryman in 1918.

There are so many plausible reasons for example

He didn't want to transfer as jhill mentions

His face didn't fit and it was a good time to get rid of him

The date is sheer coincidence and he was simply part of the desperate effort to feed the front with men during the German offensive

He had a particular skill more useful to the army at the time

Without knowing more about him it's always going to be impossible to say. What was his job in the RFC? What was his character (for example was he a bit of a barrack room lawyer)?

Probably a lack of men with expertise in the Army following the March German offensive.. My Grandfather was sent to the Argylls as he knew how to service and maintain Lewis Guns, he survived fortunately.

Aye

Malcolm

Thank you for all the replies so far.

The possibilities are very much what I had thought.

Charles S Byars was the son of a baker. His death certificate say that he was retired railway porter. However at some point in the late twenties early thirties he must have worked for a local car hirer (taxis probably the local garage).

There is a similar case of compulsory transfer (from ASC)about a month later here:

It makes me wonder if the primary reason was "combing out" fit men for the front. His serving in UK rather than in France may have more vulnerable to this.

Roger.