Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wanted Cas Lists

toofatfortakeoff

Hi I want to do a study on casualty lists generally and/or hospitalisation-I know that on ancestry you get the occasional list thrown in on the records.

So I'm asking If any happen to come your way could you forward them to me as this is a key interest as I work in surgery myself and it will keep me off the streets. ta very much Sean

The Times archive is also a source for casualty lists, published daily for all ranks up to late 1917 (officers only after that) and listing each casualty in categories - e.g. KIA, DoW, Died, Wounded, Missing, PoW, admitted to hospital, etc.

John

• Admin

For the later part of the war (mid-1917 onwards), the War Office casualty lists are available in the British Library at Colindale in north London or, more suitably for your location, via a subscription to The Genealogist.

Local papers are also a good source of lists.

Sorry I didnt make myself too clear....what I mean is INJURY LISTS sorry for the wrong turn of phrase :o

I think what you're probably looking for is contained within class MH106 at The National Archives. It contains the surviving 2% of admission and discharge registers and medical case sheets, but none are online, so a visit is necessary to view/search/photograph them. Enter MH106 in the search page here for a full list:

The National Archives

Sue

For the later part of the war (mid-1917 onwards), the War Office casualty lists are available in the British Library at Colindale in north London or, more suitably for your location, via a subscription to The Genealogist.

Having spent numerous days at the British Library with these lists in the past I was intrigued that they are now online. Have you (or anyone else) got access?

Here's their page

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/feb13_casualty_lists.php

The lists themselves are in surname/number/ initial/placename order.

The example inputs John Robson and gives the impression that it only drills down to J W Robson of DLI. In MIC's there are roughly 400 J Robson (note the 'phonetic' button is selected, giving yet more results)

Imagine looking for a John Jones! There are thousands J Jones. And they are just in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers I concentrated on.

The small film, although giving an outline of the contents, seems to concentrate on their ability to find and link to those that are on CWGC.

May I stress that I am not knocking this valuable online addition. I'm merely interested in how it works. Maybe the Keyword facility drills down to service number or the placename after each casualty. Neither are shown as selected in the example.

Would it be possible to bring up a complete list by searching the list number in Keywords? (in the example searching 'No 5371' in Keywords)

I'm assuming the Fair View Policy would put paid to large scale trawling for Regimental casualties.

Anyone with access able to enlighten me? You have to be a subscriber to view their Forum or FAQs.

Hywyn

PS

I'm given to understand that there may be copies at The Imperial War Museum as well.

I'm assuming the Fair View Policy would put paid to large scale trawling for Regimental casualties.

Anyone with access able to enlighten me?

I would like to know too as my interest is in casualties to a specific regiment.

John

There are copies of the HMSO War Office Weekly Casualty Lists at the Colindale Newspaper Library in London. They are available on microfiche from 16th April 1918 (issue 37) to 31st December 1918 (issue 74).From the beginning of 1919 (issue 75) to 4th March 1919 (issue 83) they are available in their original paper format. The National Library of Scotland also have them in Edinburgh and I believe they might all be in paper format and I am unsure if they have all of the issues. Colindale will produce copies but there is a payment. I am not sure about the procedure in Edinburgh. Also the name of the publication changed (possibly from the 9th July 1918). It was first called HMSO War Office Weekly Casualty List and then became HMSO Weekly Casualty List (War Office and Air Ministry).

The Genealogy website had some available electronically and I believe they are soon to extend their electronic copies soon, if they haven't already done so. I would imagine if you paid for a subscription, you would be able to download the full pages of those you are interested in using for research. I know that you used to be able to download a full page in PDF format from them but I no longer have access so I couldn't say if this is still true. I would be interested to know if they now have all the lists available and whether you could, as before, download pages of specific interest.

I believe that the IWM do hold some too but I am not sure if they have all of the issues and I think they are closed at the moment for renovation. I know also that they are accessible through some universities electronically too.

Sorry I didnt make myself too clear....what I mean is INJURY LISTS sorry for the wrong turn of phrase :o

Do you mean lists of wounded ? There was a very clear demarcation in the statistics : " injured" alluded to non battle casualties, and usually implied accidents of whatever kind ; "wounded" applied to battle casualties, and were the result of enemy action.

Phil (PJA)

Yes definitely wounded lists especailly if they are of the catchment for 1/3 North MIdlands Bgde. Ta v much!