Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Slouch hat worn on campaign by British units

RobL

I've seen a few photos showing British soldiers wearing slouch hats in the Salonika campaign - where these universal issue or just to specific units? Most of the photos are of them being worn by infantry but these two show them being worn by the RFA;

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205025474

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205025475

Was the slouch hat adopted in any other campaigns, such as Gallipoli or the middle east?

RobL,

Here is another photograph of WW1 British troops with a mobile AA unit, and both the men and an officer are wearing issue ' slouch hats '.

This photograph, was also taken in Salonika.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-46397100-1363716324_thumb.j

Here in Newfoundland and indeed the rest of the Commonwealth The Legion of Frontiersman pre-war paramilitary group also wore slouch hats, here are some links:

http://www.heritage..../big_f3026.html

http://en.wikipedia....of_Frontiersmen

PS. I'd love for others to comment on my tunic question also in this forum from earlier today.

Edited by viking_raid

• 4 months later...

Rather than set up a new topic - was there any difference between the slouch hat worn in Salonika by British troops and that worn by Australian troops?

Whether it includes these hats I have no idea, but if you ever manage to view ACI 1880 of 1916 at the Nat. Archives then you may find it interesting. It is for "Clothing and Necessaries", under heading "Salonika, Additional articles for Troops proceeding to".

Kevin

It's been some years since I saw it, but I believe the Osprey Men-At-Arms book on the British Army printed in the '70s has a photo of Irish troops marching in Mesopotamia wearing slouch hats.

At the time these hats were issued, the British Salonika Force was administered from Egypt and equipment was often delayed or refused because of the distances involved and the belief that operations in north Africa were more important. As the summer of 1916 approached there was a shortage of sun helmets and slouch hats were issued as a substitute. Although not common, I believe that slouch hats were a standard part of the British Army's inventory.

Keith

There are a few threads on the topic of slouch or bush hats being worn by the troops and they seem to have been worn in many areas.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169869&hl=seaforths#entry1715647

• 2 months later...

More slouch hats. Sgt James P Anderson, 8 Royal Scots Fusiliers, Salonika, 1916. The belts they are wearing look a bit unusual. Is that standard issue ?

post-64247-0-56817300-1381262460_thumb.j

Rob,

Some of those used were pre-WW1. I've had two or three over the years, two were dated (I think 1906) I believe they were fairly widely issued after the South african War. There are some IWM photos of Argyll's in Salonika wearing the pattern I had. Fairly rigid with a series of small ventilation holes on either side of the crown. Quite a high crown on them and fairly sandy coloured. In fact rather like the ones in post #10.

After these early stocks were used up, the later ones seem to be a bit more casual in style, often with quite lavish puggarees tied around them.

Below is one of the photos. Nice detail in this shot, muzzle cover on SMLE, breech cover, Canadian made water bottle in the Pattern 14 holder, kilt apron rather than the full kilt cover it would appear, drab hose tops, short puttees and garter flashes, and the slouch hat complete with the ventilation holes.

post-7141-0-66635200-1381271018_thumb.jp

Wainfleet would know as they were more his area of interest than mine.

Regards

Tocemma

More slouch hats. Sgt James P Anderson, 8 Royal Scots Fusiliers, Salonika, 1916. The belts they are wearing look a bit unusual. Is that standard issue ?

Chris,

Both Serjeants are wearing simplified pattern Service Dress jackets, and the waistbelt from the Pattern 1914 leather Infantry equipment. All perfectly typical for the theatre of war and the date.

Regards

Tocemma

Here's one from my collection - interesting pair... no indication of location.

post-14525-0-33819000-1381282544_thumb.j

1903 Pattern Belt, Simplified Jacket, markedly different coloured trousers...and some nice 'taches!

The E.R. Yeomanry seem to have worn these right from the outset, alongside other forms of headgear, so not necessarily confined to warmer climes. We do get some sunshine here in East Yorks, but rarely enough to warrant a sun hat! :D:D

Something else I should have mentioned in my earlier post is that the AA Subsection in Post 2 can only be from 24th or 32nd AA Sections. They both arrived in January 1916, with B Sub of 24th re-joining its sister from Egypt in April, so would have received the slouch hats in the summer. Two other Sections, 73rd and 74th, arrived in August 1916 but spent two months training around Salonika before 73rd went to the ridge above Dudular and 74th went to the Struma so I doubt they received slouch hats.

Keith.