Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wellington College - Schools and the Great War

stuartd

I'm off to Wellington College tomorrow for the conference 'Schools and the Great War'. Check out the line up below! Anyone jealous?!

Registration and Coffee

10:05 - 10:15 Great School

Welcome

Dr Anthony Seldon, Master, Wellington College

10:15 - 10:25

Introduction: Serving Their Country

Lord Stirrup, Chief of Defence Staff 2006-2010

10:30 - 11:20

The Great War: One Hundred Years On

Professor Sir Hew Strachan, Chichele Prof of the History of War, All Souls College, Oxford

11:20 - 12:10

What Schools can Learn from the Great War and Centenary

Professor Gary McCulloch, Brian Simon Professor of History of Education, Head of Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Institute of Education, University of London

12:10 - 12:30

The Imperial War Museums' Centenary Programme & Partnership

Gina Koutsika, Head of National & International Programmes & Projects

12:30 - 13:30 Old Hall

Lunch and tours

13:30 - 14:10 Great School

Raising Kitchener's Army and Preparing for the Great War Centenary

Professor Peter Simkins, President, Western Front Association, Visiting Prof. University of Birmingham

14:10 - 14:50

The Commonwealth War Grave Commission: The Centenary Programme (and school involvement)

Peter Francis, Head of External Communications and Edward Madigan, Research Historian

14:50 - 15:20 Old Hall

Tea

15:20 - 16:10

Schools and Preparing for the Centenary: Schools Pool Experiences

Roundtable chaired by Dr Anthony Seldon

16:15 - 16:30

The National Centenary of the Great War

Dr Andrew Murrison, MP for South West Wiltshire,

My old school! I was there from 1977-82, and loved every minute... (this is a big lie, I hated it for two years before I grew to love it). Give it my love, and in Great School have a good look at the cloak and hat that Wellington wore at Waterloo, and in the Dining Hall (if it hasn't been moved) is Sir Thomas Lawrence's portrait of the Duke of W - possibly the finest of him ever painted: and to think that we used to flick baked-beans at it...... :whistle:

William

Also in the Great School are cupboards - in each is the Roll of Honour from each house in WWI

Andrewr

I can only add a recollection, perhaps from an old Wellingtonian (is that correct?), that from the Hogs Back can be seen Wellington School, Sandhurst, the Staff College (a while ago) and Broadmoor Lunatic Astlum (old terminology); the stages of an officers career.

Old Tom

• Admin

Have an amazing day, envious, me?

Michelle

I can only add a recollection, perhaps from an old Wellingtonian (is that correct?), that from the Hogs Back can be seen Wellington School, Sandhurst, the Staff College (a while ago) and Broadmoor Lunatic Astlum (old terminology); the stages of an officers career.

Yes, "Old Wellingtonian" is correct, Wellington College (not Wellington School - that is in Somerset) is very close to those three institutions.

Wellington College was set up when a national monument to the Duke of Wellington was needed (the rival idea was a statue of the Duke in every town in Britain), and at a time when Prince Albert was desperate that Britain should have a German-style military public school, and simultaneously the army was faced with the problem of several hundred now-fatherless sons of officers who had died in the Crimea who it was felt were owed a good education.

The result was a public school, opened in 1859; sons of fee-paying gentlemen were educated alongside the sons of officers who had died whilst serving in the army, who had completely free places, paid for by a very generously endowed charity.

I benefited from such a free place 1977-82 following the death of my father in 1976, and I am pleased to say that in the last few years the opportunity to apply for such places has been extended to sons and daughters of all ranks of the armed services who have died while serving, and also to those of Police or Firefighters who have died performing an act of bravery. So it is a rather wonderful establishment. But if you have to pay fees (as about 90% of pupils do) they are currently £31,500 per annum. Eeeek! :doh: .

William