Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian M 91 bayonets in Austrian scabbards

trajan

I get the impression from my tenderfoot years in this Forum that many who like bayonets can't seem to get outside of focussing on the regular pattern bayonets in the Great War. So I thought I'd remind people that the German and Austrian-Hungarian armies also requistioned and made use of captured rifles and their bayonets... So, for starters, two Moisin-Nagant M91 bayonets in Austrian scabbards.. I'll put my two in German scabbards up later!

Trajanpost-69449-0-22627600-1359902116_thumb.j

And here's a reminder that Jscott started a thread on this style of socket bayonet just under 12 months ago, with photos of his Austrian example linked HERE

Seems from the reference material available that there is still some confusion when it comes to identifying the exact origins of this variety of ersatz scabbard.?

Cheers, S>S

Nice examples Trajan, and good memory S>S! Yes I find these bayonets quite intriguing too. I wouldn't pay the exorbitant amounts that I have seen in some places for them, but was happy to pick up a rough example, which was clearly heavily involved in the fighting in the east. Looking forward to seeing the examples in German scabbards soon - I think these are quite scarce if I am not mistaken?

J

Yes J, your find on the other thread is a good example of the Austrian made version M91 with the straight cut locking slot, together with the Austrian scabbard.

All the references have the Austrian scabbards with the wide/flat/bent tongue frog stud just like yours. I wouldn't be surprised if these were Turkish scabbards.?

Cheers, S>S