Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leutnant General Theodor von Wundt's Art Collection

paulgranger

http://www.abbottandholder-thelist.co.uk/ This link brings up details of a showing of paintings commissioned by von Wundt, CO of the 51st Reserve Infantry Regiment on the Somme 1914-1916, and after whom the Wundt-Werk, or 'Wonderwork' was named. It all looks very interesting, and I shall try to get along to see the paintings when I'm in London next month

I attended yesterday,with my son Andrew,who is much more knowledgeable about the Kaiser's Army than I am.We both found it fascinating.Some of the pictures are relatively straight landscapes,although including a particularly memorable picture of the ruins of Thiepval Chateau.However,most are quite extraordinary caricatures,including of Midsummer celebrations and of the interrogation of the brigade's first British (Irish)prisoner.They show a wonderfully quirky side of the German general who commissioned them.Highly recommended.

Michael

Absolut phantastic pictures. Also the real photographs from GL Wundt are stunning.

The Courcelette pictures would be of interest for Paul Reed I am sure.

Thanks for digging up this link. If somebody visits the museum -is it possible to take some larger scale jpg. images and post them here?

Great panoramas egbert

Well done Egbert. Excellent

Roger