Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

john h mcdade 304743 12th batt Tank corps

gazcass

The following pictures if i can get them on here are of my grandad, John Houston Mcdade and the contents of his war wallet.

My grandad enlisted 3/12/15, spent some time in reserve before being sent to France with the 9th Batt Loyal North Lancs on 23-5 -17.

He was wounded on 10th August 1917 with a GSW to the shoulder,[ according to the LNLregimental history, this would have been the attack on Westhoek Ridge], more on that later.

After spending time back in England in hospital, he eventually transferred to the Tank corps on 27-12 17, and survived the war before dying in his home town of Preston in 1980.

'Pop Mac' as we called him, was always abit of a mystery to his family as he never had any parents as they were said to be 'overseas'?, in actual fact he was born without a father and was most probably brought up in the local work house as there is no sign of him on any cencus.

He was a bit of a lad who liked a drink, and after researching our family history it was also noted that his marriage to my grandmother was only 6 months before his first child was born!!.....

During researching his army record, it was also noted that a leave period was granted after his infant son was burnt to death whilst in the cot by the fire, something always hung over my grandmother, as you can well imagine.

Pop Mac had this wallet with him throughout the war, and it has now been passed down to his grandchilren,some of the contents are his pay book, 2 pictures of him, catgut phials, and a few other bits and bats.

I am asking for a bit of help in a couple of areas, i would like to know the position of the 9th Batt LNL on the 10th August when he was shot, and could i find out which tank he served in.

Thanks enjoy the picspost-44259-0-04155700-1353444408_thumb.j

post-44259-0-73570600-1353445404_thumb.jThis picture is a bit of a mystery, as far as we know Pop Mac is the first seated on the left,[with the cigarette], however, i dont think this is when he was in the Tank corps, possibly before when he was in the LNL although god knows what job the rest of the lads were doing in their dirty overalls,, any ideas?

Thanks for the post. Terrific photos that really show a bit of character, and your relative certainly seems to have had that. It is very difficult to associate men other than officers with the tanks they served in. Official records don't often mention the names of Other Ranks, though you can be lucky. However we are fortunate in that some diaries of men who served with 12th Battalion Tank Corps have survived and are held (or copies are held) by the Imperial War Museum Department of Documents. If you can get to London to see these then who knows, you might find a reference to your man. The diaries I have in mind are those of C. B. Brown and R. G. Forward. You should be able to find the documents' references through the IWM's online catalogue.

Good Luck

Gwyn

Gwyn, Thanks for that, does the fact that his pay book is signed by different officers mean anything?, eg, would the person who gave him his pay actually be in the tank with him?.

the names are all captains - probably section commanders.

Two of them are well known

WH (Bill) Sampson commanded the tank Delilah on 15 September 1916 - it fought its way across High Wood before it became ditched.

AH Walker is Archie Holford Walker who commanded Clan Leslie on the same day - it's steering wheels were damaged by German artillery and could not get into action.

No 36 Coy was later renamed C Company - it was the third subunit of 12th Tank Bn.

This link will take you to details of the Bn's action. https://sites.google.../12th-battalion

Looking at the group photo, the badge does not look right to be LNL - more likely to be tank corps

Thanks for the replies, sorry for not responding quicker [ i've been away from home],

Having studied the group picture again, i agree that it looks like the Tank Corps, i dont know the difference between the uniform dress of officers from the rank and file,but the guy 3rd in from the right on the back row looks very spick n spam compared to the rest of the guys, is he an officer?.

I have a feeling that this picture was taken at training in the UK as i will show the back of the two postcards, one is English, one is French, on the back of the French one, [with my grandad sat down] is written the word Colman ?, possibly name of the other guy with my grandad [he looks a rum ****** doesn't he !!] ,possibly middle bottom row on group picture ?,,,..post-44259-0-12864800-1353612945_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Hi again, i have done quiet a bit of research and have a pretty good idea of my grandfathers movements on 10th August, including the likely route have would have walked, or been carried after he was shot, does anyone know the casualties for the 9th L>N>L, on or around 10th August, i am waiting for my appointment at Fulwood Barracks but their silence is deafening!,

I will be in Ypres for a week from 14th June and plan walking from Ypres to Westhoek, via railway wood etc, [with linesman] [and the Mrs !], if there is anyone else out there then who fancies it ,or if there are any photo requests i would be more than happy to accomodate.

I will also be spending the following week in Albert retracing his tank movements.

Cant Wait!!