Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle I.D. please lads and lassies.

museumtom

I think they are .256 inch Arisakas, either Pattern 1900 (Japanese Type 30) or 1907 (Japanese Type 38) although there seems to be something odd about the muzzle bands. Can you scan and post an enlarged picture of the muzzles please?

The length of the bayonets and the glimmpse of the hilt also suggest the Japanese Type 30 bayonets.

The other possibility is that they are Chilian or Brazillian Musers but as far as I am aware these were only ever issued to Royal navy and Armed Merchantmen.

Regards

TonyE

Sorry Tony I don't have a larger res image. They are the Irish Citizen Army, C 1916.

Kind regards.

Tom.

They are in Dublin, and are Irish rebels.

Regards.

Tom.

I can see where you are coming from, Seth, but at first I thought they had a normal Mauser type box magazine. Perhaps it is only the forward part of the trigger guard.

Could they be M71/84 Mausers? One thing I noticed is that the barrel bands, bolt etc look to be in the white which is a very Germanic feature at that time. Given the amount of continental weapons in Ireland about that time, UVF Mannlichers, Vetterlis etc., nothing would surprise me!

Regards

TonyE

Great minds think alike Chris!

Cheers

Tony

Yes they are Gew 71 Mauser rifles being used by the Irish, however the bayonets they carry provide no assistance at all with the identification!

The hilt of the bayonet shown appears to make it a M1874 Gras variant, some of which were modified to suit the German rifles - there was shortage of suitable bayonets for these older rifles.

Cheers, S>S