Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1920 Black and Tan -in World War I?

PFF

In November 1920 Two Black and tans were reported missing/Killed near Tralee Ireland. One was a member of the RIC. The other was a Ernest Bright of London.

Had Bright been in World War I?

I can't answer your question for certain but the majority, if not all men employed as Auxiliaries by the RIC were ex-servicemen. Many had won gallantry awards whilst serving during WW1 and many had been commissioned during WW1.

I am sure that one of the forum members interested in this area will be along soon with a definitive answer for you.

According to Police casualties in Ireland 1919-1920, Bright was a former Presser and soldier born 23/05/1886 joined the RIC on 09/07/1920.

I don't think that Bright was an Auxiliary, he is recorded as a Constable--but of course he could still have served in WW1?

Looking quickly on Ancestry there are too many Ernest Brights to say which unit he may have served with--one in 2/Londons, possibility?

it was reported that Bright and the constable he was kidnapped with were thrown alive into the furnace of Tralee Gasworks.

Hi,

The Ernest Bright in the 2nd Londons has a Pension Record on Ancestry but he signs for a TFE Medal on 4 Feb 1921 so I do not think it can be him.

340 Corporal Ernset B Bright, 2nd Battalion, City of London (R F) (Occupation Metal Turner)

Regards Mark

it was reported that Bright and the constable he was kidnapped with were thrown alive into the furnace of Tralee Gasworks.

Good God. There really was no shortage of barbarity on either side. Incredible.

The throwing alive into furnaces seems to be quite a common statement, so it was maybe a scare story, maybe not, I don't suppose we will ever know the truth.

More recently I also heard it was said about Capt Robert Nairac before the admission about what really happened.

• 1 year later...

Private Ernest Bright, #9295, 3rd (Toronto Regiment) Battalion, C.E.F. Enlisted Valcartier, Quebec Born Manchester, England

Library and Archives Canada Item #64125 DOB 23/05/1886

Ref: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166 Service File in Box 1067-12

Yes, the same man.

Cheers

Bob

• 1 year later...