Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE DARK EARTH and the LIGHT SKY.

Huw Davies

I thought members would be interested in this production at The Almeida Theatre, Islington, London.

"THE DARK EARTH and the LIGHT SKY" is a new play by BAFTA winning writer Nick Dear about the life and death of World War 1 poet Edward Thomas (played by Pip Carter) - the women in his life - his wife Helen (played by Hattie Morahan) and the 'other' woman, Eleanor Farjeon (Pandora Colin). His friendship with fellow poet and mentor Robert Frost (Shaun Dooley) and the very uneasy relationship with his father, Phillip Thomas, (Huw Davies). Dan Poole plays the gamekeeper Bott, and the kindly Major Lushington. Edward Thomas was Killed in Action at the Battle of Arras on the 9th. of April 1917.

The production is directed by the multi-awarded Sir Richard Eyre. Some of his productions recently seen on TV are Tumbledown (BAFTA - best director), and the excellent Henry IV, Part 1 and Part 2 as part of The Hollow Crown series on BBC 2 in 2012.

post-51827-0-21962600-1351935963_thumb.jFor more information please follow this link: http://www.almeida.c...event/darkearth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Huw,

Just bumping this up again for you. I hear that the production is going well and I am hoping to get down to see it.

(We provided the uniforms for Edward Thomas and Major Lushington).

Best wishes,

Taff

Heard Sir Richard Eyre talking to Graham Norton (of all people) about this on Saturday morning. Sounds interesting.

I went along to see this on the opening night (last Thursday) and would whole-heartedly recommend it.

The portrayal of the relationships between Thomas, his wife and Robert Frost was thoroughly engaging. The whole play was beautifully managed, absorbing the viewer without biasing one's own broader perspective. It focussed, for the most part, on how the three main characters viewed each other through the spectrum of Thomas and his journey to becoming a poet. There are the additional characters of Thomas' father and friend, Eleanor Farjeon who play an interesting role in drawing and skewing the perspectives. Incidently, Shaun Doolley's portrayal of Robert Frost is superb and shows the real love and admiration within the relationship.

As the play begins the character of Edward Thomas appears on the stage and - with the combination of attire, lighting and a touch of imagination - one is transported immediately into his world. The war aspects are superbly handled - kudos to Taff and Khaki Devil for creating a real sense of 'the front' with nothing but clothing and a couple of props.

This play does not deal with the poetry, per se, but the making of a poet - yet, what it achieves is a perfect distillation of the themes that underpin all of Thomas' all-too-brief canon of works. If you have a penchant for the pastoralism of Thomas and are looking for an interesting and absorbing view in to his last years, you must see this play. If you don't, well, you really ought to go and see it because it is a beautifully crafted vision of an era that interests us all.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information, the play looks excellent. I am pleased that it's doing well, but fear I may have left it too late to get anything but a restricted view ticket.

Going to start 2013 by going to see this play on 1st January. Grateful to all those who have drawn my attention to this play. Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Going to start 2013 by going to see this play on 1st January. Grateful to all those who have drawn my attention to this play. Regards

Might see you in the bar afterwards. Huw Dafydd (Phillip Thomas)

Hopefully it travels beyond London - sounds like a great portayal of a great poet and of course an RGA man!

No poems written during his short time in France before his death during the battle of Arras but I always imagine these earlier lines of his as appropriate for a gunner

After a nights thunder far away had rolled

the fiery day had a kernel sweet of cold

Hope you all enjoy the play

Certainly tempted to stay for a drink after play tomorrow -will look out for you. Regards, Michael Bully

Might see you in the bar afterwards. Huw Dafydd (Phillip Thomas)

Went to see the play last night and am still stunned by how moving it was, and makes we want to start finding out all I can about Edward Thomas, and also the lead women characters, his wife Helen Thomas and Eleanor Farjeon, who played such a large part in his life. The play certainly gave an insight to life of Edward Thomas , and how he came to be writing poetry and to have enlisted.

Also appreciated how in a short space of time the lead characters were shown to be so complex, complete with qualties and faults, the acting was so impressive..And everything else -the costumes, the affects, just couldn't fault the production.

I bought a copy of the script whilst I was there, but unforunately no programmes were to be had.

There probably few seats left by now, but sincerely hope that the play gets to tour. Perhaps will be produced by other companies in years to come? There are two lead female roles: I know the lact of women characters in Great War related drama has been a concern ever since 'Journeys End'.

Hope that you all have a great 2013.

Regards

Michael Bully

Glad to hear it was so good - must look in to going to see it.

Happy New Year SJ ! I hope you get to see the play , but it is only on until 12th January 2013 and the Almeida Theatre is quite small. There is a link to the theatre website in the OP.

I ended up going New Years Day as that seemed to be the only time that there were seats, apart from restricted view.

Just realised that a book has been written about Eleanor Farjeon and Edward Thomas and that Eleanor Farjeon went to become quite a well known writer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-Thomas-Last-Four-Years/dp/0750913371/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357161469&sr=1-2

There is an Edward Thomas Fellowship website http://www.edward-thomas-fellowship.org.uk/ with more information on the play.

Regards, Michael Bully

Glad to hear it was so good - must look in to going to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get hold of a programme for the performance I saw New Years Day. Realise that the play's run is reaching its end. Sincerely hope that 'The Dark Earth and the Light Sky' gets further performances soon. It's made me want to start looking at the lives of Edward Thomas and those around him.

Michael, you might enjoy Helen Thomas's memoirs written to help her cope with her mental health problems after Edward was killed: 'As It Was' and 'World Without End'.

Gwyn

Thanks SJ. Interesting review as the writer has a thorough background knowledge of the lives of Edward Thomas, Helen Thomas, and Eleanor Farjeon, though has not read so much about Robert Frost.

I saw the play without having read up beforehand. Personally I didn't find the fact that the scenes were not all in chronological order -and that there were 'flashbacks' -any problem at all.

Glad that this review made mention of the recently published book 'Now All Roads Lead To France' by Mathew Hollis .Found this video

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/video/2012/mar/01/edward-thomas-matthew-hollis-video

Finally, only recently realised the Eleanor Farjeon wrote the lyrics for the hymn 'Morning is Broken'.

Regards,

Michael Bully

I was looking for something else when I found this review of the play here: http://dovegreyreade...-light-sky.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the Hollis book and can heartily recommend it if interested in Thomas.

Sorry Gwyn only just noticed your post ! Yes will have to read Helen Thomas' and Eleanor Farjeon's books. This play has generated interest in their lives as well as that of Edward Thomas. Regards

• 1 month later...

Was at the British Library on Saturday and found a text entitled 'Edward Thomas-A Talk By Helen Thomas' published in limited edition by The Tragara Press in 1974. The talk itself was organised by Swansea Literary Society in 1938 and was followed by Helen Thomas reading Edward Thomas' poems.

There is a short afterword by Myfanwy Thomas .

It seems that in 1965 Helen Thomas was recorded reading Edward Thomas poetry to be released on record. It would be excellent to hear this.

Also managed to read some of Eleanor Farjeon's 'Edward Thomas The Last Four Years'. which is fascinating.

Regards

Michael Bully

• 3 weeks later...

Finished reading 'Now All Roads Lead To France' by Matthew Hollis a couple of days ago. Very impressed. Particularly like the way that the author could be sympathetic to Edward Thomas but pointed out how difficult he could be to those who were closest to him.

This You Tube feature about the book is worth a look

Regards,

Michael Bully

Just finished the Hollis book and can heartily recommend it if interested in Thomas.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

From looking at the War Poets Association Facebook page seems that this superb play is on again in West Meon, Hampshire !

"On 25, 26, 27, 28, 30 June and 1 and 2 July there is a production of the excellent play about Edward Thomas - The Dark Earth & The Light Sky by Nick Dear taking place in an Indian style tent at 8pm at The Thomas Lord pub in West Meon. Tickets, from £13, are available fromwww.westmeontheatre.co.uk Pre theatre suppers can be booked at The Thomas Lord 01730 829244. "

Thanks for the heads up Michael must investigate!