Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I.D. Swiss bayonets?

Tom W.

Could be one of the Schmidt Rubin Pioneer bayonets, either M1906 or M1914 (IIRC), which were much longer that the normal infantry bayonet and were saw-backed.

However, you need one of the "pointy" experts like S>S to give you details rather than an interloper like me!

Regards

TonyE

Strange ... like nothing that I've seen before - certainly not one of the common designs of the period. I wonder if they may be 'dress' sabres of some kind.? :huh:

The handle looks to be made of 'one-piece' brass, while the common bayonets featured timber or pressed leather grips. They look to have a knob at the top.

Cheers, S>S

I'll stick with my initial thoughts - some kind of 'dress' sabre. The handle looks too slender to mount on a rifle. Also I can't see any sign of a muzzle ring for attachment.?

Cheers, S>S

So here is what I think they might be - a version of what is called a "Swiss Artillery Sword" - but I can't confirm that as it's not really my area (see pics below)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-15303100-1351519036_thumb.j

post-52604-0-01672800-1351519016_thumb.j

So here is what I think they might be - a version of what is called a "Swiss Artillery Sword" - but I can't confirm that as it's not really my area (see pics below)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-15303100-1351519036_thumb.j

post-52604-0-01672800-1351519016_thumb.j

It maybe be an M1880 saw-backed artillery short sword.

It maybe be an M1880 saw-backed artillery short sword.

Yep - that's the one - does the photograph offer any other clues as to date and unit type. Very sensible 'sun-hats' they are wearing - plenty of protection.!

Cheers, S>S

Yep - that's the one - does the photograph offer any other clues as to date and unit type. Very sensible 'sun-hats' they are wearing - plenty of protection.!

Cheers, S>S

No clue at all. They're Swiss soldiers of 1918. Now I know they're artillerymen. The sun hats are the M1918 model of steel helmet, and the tunics are field-gray M1914 and M1917.