Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost records of Lewis, Jones & Selwood

Owenbenfro

Seeking information on the following, for whom I have been unable to identify on CWGC ;

++ Pvte John Cecil Lewis baptized at Pembroke Dock St John in 1885 he was the son of Walter Charles & Emily Lewis nee’ Morris who mrd in late’81 and lived at 37 Laws St, but had later moved to Meyrick St. John Cecil joined the K.S.L.I. and died of wounds received whilst in Hospital in France on the 31st March 1918, I have tried all variations I can think of but alas can not locate him on CWGC.

His brother Frederick Charles Lewis a member of the 2nd Welsh also died of wounds received in action in Sept 1916, buried at Millencourt France, (I do not require any info from CWGC). Seeking the final resting place of John Cecil Lewis.

++ James Jones a civilian aged 13 yrs was aboard the HM Trawler Victoria(Fleetwood). He was one of 6 crew killed when the Victoria was shelled & sunk by the U-34 on the 01st Jun 1915, the other dead where D. McCarthy, D.J. Rudge, A.G. Coles, J. Stevenson and F. Slate(all correctly listed CWGC). James Jones was placed in the wheelhouse for safekeeping unfortunately the wheelhouse received a direct hit and James was killed. Even though a civilian should he not be listed CWGC along with the rest of the 5 crew that where killed in the attack? Or have I missed him ?

++ Pvte James Selwood of Goodwick Pembrokeshire, officially posted missing in November 1917, it was reported that he is now officially rconfirmed as killed in action in France as of November 1918, can find no further information on him, so any amplification would be appreiciated,

Pvte James Selwood

This man ?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/829033/SELLWOOD,%20JAMES

Name: James Sellwood

Birth Place: Gloucester

Death Date: 4 Oct 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Fishguard

Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment

Battalion: 12th (Service) (Bristol) Battalion

Number: 260403

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 316168, Monmouthshire Regiment.

Hello Owen,

For Selwood, see SELLWOOD on the Goodwick page of Peter John's Pembs. War memorials website here: http://www.pembrokes...o.uk/page26.htm

As regards James Jones, if he was a civilian then the CWGC wouldn't commemorate him. Civilians who died through enemy action in the Second World War are recorded by them, but not in WW1.

Clive

EDIT: Ah! Pipped to the post!

Looking at James Jones - members of the Mercantile Marine who died in WW1 as a direct result of enemy action are commemorated by the CWGC.

The First World War section of the Tower Hill Memorial commemorates almost 12,000 Mercantile Marine casualties who have no grave but the sea.

The Tower Hill Memorial

As the other members of the crew are commemorated might the reason young James is not commemorated be that he had not yet 'signed up' as a member of the Mercantile Marine service. (I'm afraid I don't know the correct term).

CGM

Seeking information on the following, for whom I have been unable to identify on CWGC ;

++ Pvte John Cecil Lewis baptized at Pembroke Dock St John in 1885 he was the son of Walter Charles & Emily Lewis nee’ Morris who mrd in late’81 and lived at 37 Laws St, but had later moved to Meyrick St. John Cecil joined the K.S.L.I. and died of wounds received whilst in Hospital in France on the 31st March 1918, I have tried all variations I can think of but alas can not locate him on CWGC.

His brother Frederick Charles Lewis a member of the 2nd Welsh also died of wounds received in action in Sept 1916, buried at Millencourt France, (I do not require any info from CWGC). Seeking the final resting place of John Cecil Lewis.

++ James Jones a civilian aged 13 yrs was aboard the HM Trawler Victoria(Fleetwood). He was one of 6 crew killed when the Victoria was shelled & sunk by the U-34 on the 01st Jun 1915, the other dead where D. McCarthy, D.J. Rudge, A.G. Coles, J. Stevenson and F. Slate(all correctly listed CWGC). James Jones was placed in the wheelhouse for safekeeping unfortunately the wheelhouse received a direct hit and James was killed. Even though a civilian should he not be listed CWGC along with the rest of the 5 crew that where killed in the attack? Or have I missed him ?

++ Pvte James Selwood of Goodwick Pembrokeshire, officially posted missing in November 1917, it was reported that he is now officially rconfirmed as killed in action in France as of November 1918, can find no further information on him, so any amplification would be appreiciated,

John Cecil Lewis served as Williams. He is on the Pembrokeshire War Memorial website on the Pembroke Dock page.

James Sellwood (Two L's) is on the Pembrokeshire War Memorial website on the Goodwick page.

Diggler