Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German reservist - Recall to active duty summons

Nick62

In a separate thread I mentioned that my Great Grandfather had been recalled to active duty in April 1918.

The attached notice (front and back) was in a packet of family history materials I recently received. Herr Nestmann would have been just getting ready to turn 51 when he received this notice (born 29 April 1867), having completed his mandatory reserve duty I believe in 1903. I know that German manpower was severely stretched towards the end of the war, but was the mobilization of those aged 50 common in the spring of 1918? Or am I completely misunderstanding what this card is saying? I have reasonable (but not fluent) command of German.

Thanks,

Nick

post-35709-0-29428400-1346433131_thumb.j

post-35709-0-62642800-1346433137_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

An update. Turns out this call-up notice isn't for Reinhold Ernst Nestmann, but rather his son Erich ("bei Eltern" - living with parents). We know that my mother's Onkel Erich (Reinhold's son) was born in 1900, so this makes a heck of a lot more sense. The boy turns 18 and its time to report for military duty. I gotta get better a reading this old German handwriting......

Nick