Sand texture on Rimless brodie helmet

Anzac16

Hi there all

I just got a new brodie helmet

PICT1279.jpg

Is a rimless with the D/F 30 in it so I think it’s from 1916

and with sand texture

but I was wondering

when did they start to use this texture?

i have 2 rimed helmets and they have this texture

PICT0802.jpg

But i thought that rimless doesn’t have this texture

I have seen a museum held rimless brodie with a rough texture but a very dark green colour. I previously assumed these were a bluish colour and even un-painted until then. So with the thousands produced some must have been sand coloured and possibly even done at the front.

redrum

the sand finish was a texture rather than a colour, done with the intention of making the helmets less reflective, later a more effective method was to cover the helmet with hessian

I'm afraid i don't know whether the early rimless helmets were re-treated with the sand finish

chris

The dark green helmet I have seen had this same roughened surface.I would guess yours was modified in the front-line to match the terrain. I have read of troops who over painted their helmets in a khaki drab - some were made to clean it off again by the sergeant. ( purposely damaging government property! )

Anzac16,

All Helmets manufactured after a GHQ decision on 11 April 1916 were to be painted with Sand.

A good percentage of rimless helmets would have been painted without the sand finish although the tail end production would have.

Not uncommon for rimless helmets to be repainted at depot w/sand finish--this would have been very much rougher than afactory applied finish

Joe Sweeney