Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oberleutnant Helmuth Hofmann headstone, aviator?

egbert

Today I visited a cemetery in the Harz mountains in Wernigerode. I stumbled across this beautiful gravestone and ask if the broken propeller blades hint to a killed aviator? Anybody with ancestry information maybe?

post-80-0-25539500-1344093430_thumb.jpg

Detail photo of gravestone. There may be the sign of AOK 4 on top of prop

post-80-0-69588700-1344093517_thumb.jpg

Gravesite total view

post-80-0-07252900-1344093599_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I am not sure how I missed this post the first time around, but that is an impressive stone. I suspect you are onto something re: his being an aviator.

-Daniel

That broken prop is certainly evocative....

I am not sure how I missed this post the first time around, but that is an impressive stone. I suspect you are onto something re: his being an aviator.

-Daniel

RE: this grave lies next to the disbanded grave of my grandparents -maternal line, which I found after extensive research....(the ones where your relatives Löwenstein from same town maybe went to visit their dentist office)

He's on Gräbersuche

No details about his unit - and note the last line!

Nachname: Hofmann
Vorname: Helmuth
Geburtsdatum: 22.12.1892
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:11.12.1917
Todes-/Vermisstenort: nicht verzeichnet

More evidence of his probably being a flyer lies in the crowned wreath at the top, which mimics the German flyer badge (albeit with a square replacing the plane):

http://www.trocadero.com/anjin/items/1046684/catphoto.jpg

I thought it might be a badge of some kind, so thanks for confirming that! Which made me look a little closer and then I noticed that there are different leaves on the wreath - oak one side and I would guess laurel(?) the other, as that is usual in victory wreaths! Symbolism anyone?

Trajan

Egbert, would you be able to correct the Grabersuche entry - "Todes-/Vermisstenort: nicht verzeichnet"? I don't trust my German enough to write to them about that but much more to the point, you found the grave and can give better details!

Tschuss!

Trajan

Egbert, would you be able to correct the Grabersuche entry - "Todes-/Vermisstenort: nicht verzeichnet"? I don't trust my German enough to write to them about that but much more to the point, you found the grave and can give better details!

Tschuss!

Trajan

Done!

Done!

Vielen Danke!

Thanks for posting, tremedous Headstone,

KB.