Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mobilised reservists - uniform?

Chris_Baker

Would army and special reservists who were called to the colours in early 1914 have had uniform at home? Or was this always issued when they reported at the depot? (A friend is writing a book on the period and wishes to be accurate in making an observation about this).

Here's a few examples from the HLI Chronicles, if this helps. Not sure if the Reservists mentioned here were 'Special' Reservists, or if that made any difference?

Recruiting offices were opened in the large industrial towns, in Glasgow, and later, through the co-operation of the Political Agencies, in every town and village in the country, and here inspiring sights were to be seen of great crowds of men eager, pressing, clamouring for enrolment. Soon they arrived at the Depot in such numbers that the large staffs, housed for the time being in the old Guard-Room at the Almada Street Gate (for the H.L.I.) and in No. 0 Hut (for the Scottish Rifles), were utterly unable to cope with the rush. Hundred after hundred were "finally approved" and passed on to the Quartermaster for equipment, and to the worried-to-death Colour-Sergeants for attention to the "inner man," payment, and despatch. Under the abnormal pressure it was no surprise to see stores running short; and so the men began to appear in uniformminus glengarries; then the uniforms, too, ran out, and the underclothing, then the small kits; and soon men were passed on in the clothing in which they came.

From the HLI Chronicles (2nd battalion) War against the German Empire was declared on August the 4th, and a general mobilisation ordered. When the writer arrived at the depot on the afternoon of the 5th a splendid response had already been made by the Army Reservists, and on the same evening 300 had been sent, fully clothed and equipped, to the 2nd battalion at Aldershot.

On the 4th August we got the word "Mobilise" after which a "nightmare" I can hardly call it anything else. Reservists came in large numbers-almost more than we could cope with. The food question was particularly difficult. The food was there but , with limited number of NCO's all with their own special job to do, I'm afraid some had difficulty in getting their meals before others had eaten it. However, everyone, I think, realised the stress, and took it well. /we worked well up till 11 o'clock at night. Great was the greeting of old friends. Everyone was eager to go out. And how great the change when a man discards his "civilians" for "khaki" He became a soldier at once.

Mike

Chris

They were issued with two sets of uniform at the depot. As you will be aware, although they were issued with the correct size of boot they did not have enough time to break them in and suffered during the first couple of weeks in France. There is an excellent account of how the Leinsters' depot handled their reservists in TNA WO 35/56A, which your friend might like to study.

Charles M

Reservists of the DLI had a box at the Depot with basic kit in it. Below from, 'The Steel of the DLI.'

During the summer of 1914 the orders for mobilisation, which had been worked out over many years, were refined so that every officer and man at the depot knew exactly what was required of them. At the depot each reservist had a pigeonhole with all his required equipment in place, so that on arrival the business of kitting the men out proceeded very quickly and smoothly. Regular reservists began to arrive as early as 0600 hours on 5 August and the arrangements for feeding and billeting worked admirably. Throughout the day men were medically examined and when passed fit were issued with their kit, nominal rolls were filled in and the men prepared for dispatch to join 2/Durham LI. It is interesting to note that the officers at the depot recorded that the regular reservists nearly all reported sober and on time; whilst those of the special reserve battalions, i.e. 3/Durham LI and 4/Durham LI, were mainly late and in many cases under the influence of drink, many having to follow on behind the main party after it had deployed.

I would assume most Regimental Depots would have operated a similar system and those on B Class reserve would have had the basic gear at home so they could attend the annual musketry camp.

Regards

John

Reservists of the DLI had a box at the Depot with basic kit in it. Below from, 'The Steel of the DLI.'

During the summer of 1914 the orders for mobilisation, which had been worked out over many years, were refined so that every officer and man at the depot knew exactly what was required of them. At the depot each reservist had a pigeonhole with all his required equipment in place, so that on arrival the business of kitting the men out proceeded very quickly and smoothly. Regular reservists began to arrive as early as 0600 hours on 5 August and the arrangements for feeding and billeting worked admirably. Throughout the day men were medically examined and when passed fit were issued with their kit, nominal rolls were filled in and the men prepared for dispatch to join 2/Durham LI. It is interesting to note that the officers at the depot recorded that the regular reservists nearly all reported sober and on time; whilst those of the special reserve battalions, i.e. 3/Durham LI and 4/Durham LI, were mainly late and in many cases under the influence of drink, many having to follow on behind the main party after it had deployed.

I would assume most Regimental Depots would have operated a similar system and those on B Class reserve would have had the basic gear at home so they could attend the annual musketry camp.

Regards

John

Equipment is not the same as uniform.

Equipment is not the same as uniform. I agree, perhaps a better quote to have used would have been;

This period of mobilisation is recorded by an unknown reservist of C Company, in a manuscript of his diary held in the Regimental Museum.

Mobilised on the 4th of August and proceeded to Newcastle on the night of the 5th , arriving about 9pm. Went through the ordeal of passing the Doctor and drawing my kit and other equipment. I was now ready to march off.

In this context i believe he means additional uniform i.e. everything that goes in his kit bag.

Hi Chris

George Ashurst was a Special Reservist serving wit 3/Lancashire Fusiliers before the war and was issued with his uniform and and kit on arrival at the depot:

Pushing my way through these people, I reported to the sergeant of the guard. In no time at all I was sent off to the doctor, and in less than 20 seconds I was marked fir for active duty abroad.

As I was dressing I heard commands being given to fall in for uniforms and fighting kit. These were thrown at us, along with a rifle, and I noticed with a thrill that my bayonet had been newly sharpened. They also threw at us a large piece of brown paper and some string to parcel up our civilian clothes. All was hustle and bustle in the brracks and off we went to the gymnasium to change. In a few minutes we were looking like fighting men , and as I parcelled up my civilian clothes and labelled them for home I listened to jokes, curses and drunken singing.

The extract is taken from his memoir My Bit: A Lancashire Fusilier at War 1914 -18.

Regards

Geoff

Hello Chris

The untimate oracle is the Clothing Regulations, which specified that uniforms for reservists were to be stored at the depot. IIRC there were rules about the proportions of each size which were to be kept, and about inspecing the stores from time to time to ensure that the stocks were all in good condition and suitable for immediate issue in case of need.

This only applied to Service Dress: full dress was effectively declared obsolete, except for special purposes, on 5 Aug 1914.

The vexed question of "wearing in" new boots appears in many contemporary accounts.

Ron

Although not in context with the 'Reservists' who were mobilised, but equally as important if you go to this old GWF post and scroll down to 'Battalion Mobilization Order No.1', you'll appreciate just how organised it all was even for the Territorials and this order is dated 1911;-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38858&hl=%20mobilization%20%20order&st=150