Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another P1879 upgrade

sawdoc34

DSCN5696.jpgDSCN5695.jpgDSCN5692.jpg As finding new additions to fill the gaps is getting rather expensive, thought this would be an upgrade to my other P1879 but altho its metal work & release catch is in better condition, its missing some of the leather grip on 1 side.

Question- which do I sell or should I keep both? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

As finding new additions to fill the gaps is getting rather expensive, thought this would be an upgrade to my other P1879 but altho its metal work & release catch is in better condition, its missing some of the leather grip on 1 side.

Question- which do I sell or should I keep both? :unsure:

A couple of nice old bayonets Aleck. I like the upgrade with better condition metalwork, and would be willing to overlook the damaged grip - perhaps just send it my way.! :thumbsup:

People often discount these earlier Pattern bayonets as being 'way off the chart' as far as GW usage goes, but stranger things have happened. Just look at the reissue dates.

You can see from the closeups that there are reissue dates of '98, '99 and '00 so these were clearly still kicking around at the turn of the century - you can never say never ...

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-13681700-1342160987_thumb.jpost-52604-0-69426200-1342160964_thumb.j

Aleck, I have been going back over some old threads which discussed the interchangeability of these older bayonets with the more modern rifles (see HERE)

Do me a favour next time you have your SMLE out and try to fit one of these P1879 bayonets onto the nosecap - and if you could take a photo that'd be great.!

I was thinking more about those reissue marks - at the time these would have been known as Sword Bayonet, M.H. (artillery) carbine as noted in LOC #10559.

Cheers, S>S

• 3 weeks later...

No problem S/S,

will get thebayonet & SMLE out when next back on tuesday (as have limited time today) & take a few pics for you mate,

Cheers,

Aleck