Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B5 boots & toe plates

GRANVILLE

I thought I'd give this a specific thread of its own.

Anyone into the subject of boots may well have spotted already that some of us have been looking into getting top plates reproduced. Because I know Wm Lennons who make the boots, I've liased with them on the subject. They confirm no one makes an authentic copy otherwise they would fit them. They have put me onto a foundry that makes all the metalwork that they do use on their boots and the foundry has indicated that if they had a pattern to work to they would be able to reproduce the plates. I've now supplied the company concerned with a drawing and 1 -1 scale templates from which they have confirmed they can make a pattern etc. The other day I got this from the company concerned:

Hi David,

I have finally talked with the pattern maker about the toe and heel plates. He will be able to use the template you have given. I have asked that he smooths out the curves, otherwise he will make the pattern to the template shape and size. The cost of the patterns are a bit more than I expected. They are £100 each (plus VAT). The price for the finished goods will be £1.50 per pair (plus VAT), based on orders of 100 pairs - minimum order.

I have conveyed this back to Wm Lennons, but after consideration they feel the start-up costs are too high for them and so they are not inclined to take the matter further. I will be explaining this to the foundry, who might just reduce their costs slightly - I don't know yet, but in all this I am nothing more than a link between boot maker and foundry acting on behalf of anyone with an interest in the subject; I have my own business to run and too many other commitments. The bottom line appears to be that unless someone wants to get commercially involved in this subject, I can see it will be highly unlikely toe plates will ever become available for these boots so all I can do is throw this out to the readership to see if it strikes a cord with anyone.

Dave

I thought it might well turn out like this Dave. You have done all you can. You took the horse to water etc, etc. Regards, Paul.

Indeed, it's pretty much what I too suspected might happen. I've conveyed back to the foundry that Wm Lennon's might be more inclined if the set-up costs could be reduced & am still awaiting a reply, but if there is no movement then I think it's not going to happen.

Dave

You've had a good try with this Dave. I feel, perhaps, I left it in your lap. If you should need a pair of the plain arch type for your own boots in the future PM me and I'll send you a pair. Didn't see why I should send a company a pair for free, but you deserve them. Regards Paul.

You've had a good try with this Dave. I feel, perhaps, I left it in your lap. If you should need a pair of the plain arch type for your own boots in the future PM me and I'll send you a pair. Didn't see why I should send a company a pair for free, but you deserve them. Regards Paul.

Very kind offer Paul, but the bizarre thing is I'm not seeking to get myself any toe plates! All of my kit is on dispaly now in a local museum and I don't see it from one month to the next!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Thanks for all of your efforts on this. Was the pattern you sent them the one I emailed you? If it was that exact size, I would be willing to pitch in for 10 sets of the M-type toe plates if that helps at all.

Thanks,

Eric

It was Eric. Taff Gillingham has the pattern & measurements currently as I approached him and he has indicated he will try and take it up with someone he knows.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi mechett. I haven't made any other approaches in connection with this one. To me, to be right they would have to be made as per the originals i.e. cast. They could easily be made if there was the will, but from the manufacturers point of view they seem unwilling to step out and make a mould and make them available unless someone stumps up the costs of doing do in the first place. From the enthusiast’s point of view, why would they want to do that when in the long term it will be the manufacturer who reaps the benefits? This would not arise if some sort of business partnership is put in place but unless you have someone wanting to run a small business venture dealing in WW1 boot plates this is also unlikely to happen and I have to admit I have no inclination to do so.

Dave Upton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

If Taff doesn't come up trumps, let me know. While I'd rather not get into re-enactment supply again, and I suspect that SoF will reproduce them as soon as someone takes the plunge, it seems a shame not to complete the B5s if the only obstacle is start-up cost. My group would probably take at least 50 pairs straight away, so could possibly absorb the start-up costs. It's certainly worth looking at.

Cheers

Keith

Taff

I think that The Queen's Own could add a modest order of 10 pairs if it helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Nothing positive so far.

Because we need these in different sizes, so far, no manufacturer is interested in making small enough runs to make them cheap enough for us to have made.

We will keep trying.

Cheers,

Taff

This is exactly what I came up againts and I would refer the reader back to post #1 to see some of the sums involved.

David

• 3 years later...

A great find as these are as rare as hen's teeth now. I actually dropped on a modest quantity myself some months ago. The next challenge are the nails and actually getting them on securely as to do the job right the boot needs to go onto a cobblers last so that they can be nailed on securely. A decent traditional cobblers ought to be able to do this but they may well have a problem with the nails which obviously have rectangular heads and of a suitable length. They are out there but not sure where. If anyone gets really stuck I can give a plug for Wm. Lennons again as they fixed mine on and as with all their work, have done a first rate job.

David

Hi David,

The rectangular nails are available for the heel plates which are still produced for Army ammo boots, they just need cutting down and re pointing to about 1/2 ". An easy job with clippers and a file. I found a suitable boot last on ebay and did the job myself. Most satisfying. I have also converted my Lennons to the lesser studded sole variety ( suitable for Drivers MT) using 1/2" panel pins for the rows of nails.

I also found a solution for the rather tight uppers on Lennons boots, they only make a medium width which is not good for high insteps or wide feet. After 10 or so miles of painful and fruitless breaking in, I gave up and bought a " Vamp Raiser" from America. This was an expensive tool but I could find no equivalent in this country. After two days stretching in each boot I now have a comfortable fit with no gap between the laces. The boots are transformed and my feet are extremely grateful.

Tomo.

On 7/31/2016 at 19:48, GRANVILLE said:

A great find as these are as rare as hen's teeth now. I actually dropped on a modest quantity myself some months ago. The next challenge are the nails and actually getting them on securely as to do the job right the boot needs to go onto a cobblers last so that they can be nailed on securely. A decent traditional cobblers ought to be able to do this but they may well have a problem with the nails which obviously have rectangular heads and of a suitable length. They are out there but not sure where. If anyone gets really stuck I can give a plug for Wm. Lennons again as they fixed mine on and as with all their work, have done a first rate job.

David

They certainly seem to be. After all that negotiating to have them made there was no way I was going to let these go! They were not cheap but, ultimately, were less than it would have cost to have them made!