Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Military Archive

Skipman

• 1 month later...

I'm still not sure about this service Mike. I am tempted, especially given my geographical distance from access to libraries etc but the cost is high.

Thanks for posting the review - it has made me revisit the idea but I am still unsure. Any other Pal's thoughts would be welcome.

Jim

Jim. It does say this at the bottom of the review

" Subscriptions are available at a currently reduced rate of £100 per annum (normally £125) for access to "The Library" or £140 for all three services. "

I too am tempted.

Mike

I just glad that I have my own library :w00t: ,and do not have to pay for their services.

Ah, but how much did it cost to fill your Library over the years?

There are over 500 searchable titles. Unfortunately you cannot copy and paste from them, but I suppose that's understandable. I dare say a few of these are available at Archive.org too. Like Jim I would be interested in hearing from others before taking the plunge, but I probably will at some point.

Mike

• 3 months later...

I received this today. Might be of interest?

MILITARY ARCHIVE LAUNCHES NEW ‘BUILD YOUR OWN LIBRARY’ OF RARE HISTORICAL BOOKS

Adds New Free Search Facility Across All Database Records in ‘The Rolls’ and ‘Murphy’s Register’

Brentwood, Essex, 21st November, 2012: The Military Archive, a collection of unrivalled resources for identifying individuals, awards and service of those who served in 19th and 20th Century military conflicts, announces a raft of updates. The online ‘Library’ of rare historical books has been expanded and now provides a facility which enables users to ‘build your own’ library.

‘The Library’, which was previously available only by subscription, houses over 550 regimental histories and rolls of honour, which are now accessible on a pay-as-you-go basis, allowing users to ‘build your own library’ from the sources available, and at a low cost.

‘The Rolls’, an unique collection of Medal Rolls, which enables users to identify and confirm details from official records with regards to medals awarded, has been substantially expanded with a number of unique online databases. In addition, a new free search facility, which enables users to search across all the Military Archive’s database rolls, has been launched with a nominal cost pay-as-you-go option. The service is also available via subscription.

‘The Rolls’ has been expanded with the following unique medal rolls now made available in searchable database form:

The Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (1876-1919) – database

The Volunteer Long Service Medal (1895-1930) – database

1914 Star (Army Officers) – database and relevant pdf copies of original roll

1914-15 Star (Army Officers) – database and relevant pdf copies of original roll

Territorial Force War Medal (Army Officers) – database and relevant pdf copies of original roll

‘Murphy’s Register’ is an online index of approximately 250,000 records and photographs of individuals who have served in the armed forces. Previously the service was only available via subscription, but we have now launched a pay-as-you-go option at 99p per record. Where noted in original material, records include name, rank, regiments in which served, attachments, awards, service number, ship, etc., and, most importantly, details of the originating source and relevant volume and/or page number.

If the original source is available in ‘The Library’, users can now access these volumes on a pay-as-you-go basis or via subscription.

The Military Archive is also promoting a special ‘Christmas Truce’ Offer*

The Library, The Rolls, & Murphy’s Register £100

* Offer runs to 31st January, 2013 and applies to single-user subscription only.

Please go to our website for more information: www.militaryarchive.co.uk

Thanks for posting this Mike. I had never heard of such a resource.

Hazel

I certainly won't jump in with both feet but might use it as "pay for use" resource until I can get a handle on what they have. I already have Ancestry and because my people were mostly Scottish, use "Scotland's People" quite a bit. Ancestry is frustrating though, as you have to use all kinds of strategies to find what you are looking for. Their retrieval system is for the birds. Although i have been a member of Ancestry for years it is generally either through this Forum (or inadvertantly, by accidentally finding some information) that I find out what they actually have.

Hazel

The Long Service and Good Conduct Rolls can be be downloaded for free from TNA (WO 102) most of the rest of them can as well. Have a look at at the TNA

While true, would I be right in saying they are not 'searchable'?

Mike

Mike

I think the library may now be worth looking at. I have seen the 2 volumes of the Royal Scots which I do not have and which is £32 from N&M Press, at the £8 that they are asking for access. Such one off purchases I may go for, much as I would love the volumes on my shelves. I will go through this weekend and see if there is £100 worth in there to work out which is cheaper. Not sure about the rest but then I am not a 'soldier researcher' so don't know the ins and outs of such papers.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm not ready to jump, but will when I need the books on offer. This may be a better way to 'sell' than 'all or nothing' They have obviously put a lot of work in, so good luck to them.

Cheers Mike

• 1 year later...

Has anyone signed up to this? I was looking at it this morning using the free registration which allows you to search but little else. The library resource is obviously useful, but the search facility for men is limited to name only and seemed slow. As it has been around a couple of years now I wondered if anyone had any experience in using it regularly.

I have been a member for the past six months and am pleased that I took out a subscription. May be the search engine is not as quick as some of the big boys, but this site contains data which is not easily obtainable anywhere else and the library is excellent.

What I also like is when I have had a problem, it has been efficiently and politely dealt with. They also take feed back well - so mention your thoughts about their search engine.

I certainly would recommend the site.

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy, I'll take another look. As you say it certainly has a lot of information available

• 4 years later...

I think the assumption must be that the site/business is no longer operating.

There appear to be a few book files from the  floating around the internet. Two such are

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/infantry-histories/A-History-of-the-Black-Watch-in-the-Great-War-Royal-Highlanders.asp

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/infantry-histories/library/The-Norfolk-Regiment-1685-1918-Vol-2/HTML/index.asp#/1/

You need to have Flash turned on to view, so if you see a Flash icon, click on it.  I understand Flash will be withdrawn in a year or two, so perhaps these links won't work after that.

If you did a Google Search with a book title you are looking for  and the first part of the URLs you might bring up something.

Cheers

Maureen