Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Patch Rifle regiment

eparges

Hi,

I went through most of the posting on the forum, but don't succed in identifying this patch..it measures 2 in to the sides, 1.8 in on top. The tunic bears black rifle regiment buttons, to each shoulder a circular patch (2 in.) appears to have been worn, and perhaps a short (cloth) shouldertitle (no holes to the shoulderstraps); Any ideas? Thanx!

patch110.jpg

patch210.jpg

Hi Pb,

thanx for that; I don't know if that matters, but the patch is not a triangle with equal sides...It wouldn't fit with the black rifle buttons wouldn't it?

Eparges,

I imagine the patches would have been produced pretty quickly. The 1/5th South Lancs Bn wore blackened brass cap badges and blackened rifles buttons.

P.B.

5th South Lancs was a rifle regiment.

The patches weren't necessarily factory made - and I'd allow for a degree of imprecision - and the missing circles could easily be the 55th Div signs.

I'd say 5th South Lancs was a very strong contender.

Cheers,

GT.

Hello GT and PB

Nothing on LLT to say 1/5 S Lancs is a rifle regiment; so am just wondering where this info is from? 2/17 Londons of 30 Div is also a contender, especially if there were cloth sew-on titles, as were often worn by the London battalions. 30 Div signs would also account for the missing circles.

Best wishes,

W.

1/5 th South Lancs was a battalion not a regiment but not knowing immedialtely what LLT stands for,the West Lancashire Division year book for 1911 shows the full dress of the battalion to be the same as that worn by 6th Kings Liverpools.

P.B.

LLT = Long Long Trail, sister site to this one with link at top left of this page. Regiment = battalion, yes, clearly!

Hi,

I went through most of the posting on the forum, but don't succed in identifying this patch..it measures 2 in to the sides, 1.8 in on top. The tunic bears black rifle regiment buttons, to each shoulder a circular patch (2 in.) appears to have been worn, and perhaps a short (cloth) shouldertitle (no holes to the shoulderstraps); Any ideas? Thanx!

Could well be 1/5th South Lancs Regiment of 166th Brigade 55th West Lancs Div.

P.B.

Hi

Have to agree with P.B on this one.

If you combine the evidence of the black back collar badge for the 166th Bde (tri-angular and worn to the back of the collar) with the details for the 1/5th South Lancs TF (who without doubt wore a blackened brass finish cap badge - Gaylor et al) and the circular 55th Divisional Red Rose patch (worn on upper sleeve by all ranks - Chappell) then a strong case is made.

Care should be always be taken in being definitive about most battle insignia as comprehensive sources of confirmation remain outstanding but the permutations and the probability of matching battalion with brigade and division as above, though not unique, remain pretty compelling.

Suddery

Thank you all, it all appears indeed 'pretty probable'. Around the traces of the circular badge some stitching remains, no stitching remains that cloth shouldertitles were worn. I'd be very pleased if it be 1/5th S.Lancs, for I have a particular interest in the fighting for/around Guillemont in 16. The photo in the link by Groovetown also shows a tunic without titles being worn...which let me to (temporarely) put a 55th Div patch and make this comparison...

sd1d10.jpg