Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Albert Watson

jaguar7777777

My grandfather, Private Albert Watson (service number SS/1627), was a baker in the Army Service Corps who served with the 29th at Gallipoli. He died on the 3rd July 1915. Local newspaper reports at the time say he was wounded in the Dardanelles, but I know he is buried in Malta. Does that mean he was more than likely still alive, shipped to Malta and died there? I’m assuming that if he’d died at Gallipoli he’d have been buried there. Last question – is it possible to find out where he was wounded (through Division records perhaps)? I am going to Gallipoli in 3 weeks time and would very much like to pay my respects.

The wounded from Gallipoli were shipped to hospitals throughout the Mediterranean basin; e.g. Lemnos, Egypt, Malta. My Own grandfather spent a month in hospital on Malta, but luckily for me he survived. It sounds as if your grandfather was wounded, shipped to Malta, but alas did not recover from his injuries.

The map below shows what I believe to be the Bakery area for the 29th Division, just above W Beach. I think that its the pentagonal area just to west (left) of the 17th Stationary Hospital; see the top left hand corner of the map.

MapWBeachBritBasearea0001.jpg

Have a great trip

regards

Michael

You may be interested to know that in his history of the ASC, Col Michael Young mentions that the Field Bakery at Helles produced about 30,000 lbs. of bread daily. It would be very welcome by the troops who only had hard biscuits until the FB started up

Thanks Michael, your comments and map are very helpful indeed, and very interesting.

You may be interested to know that in his history of the ASC, Col Michael Young mentions that the Field Bakery at Helles produced about 30,000 lbs. of bread daily. It would be very welcome by the troops who only had hard biscuits until the FB started up

The link to hospital ships provided by Ken is very interesting and many thanks for that. One particular ship of interest however I believe is missing from the web site. I am aware that HMHS Assaye evacuating troops from Gallipoli, docked briefly at Mudros, and then called at Malta on 15th December 1915. The ship is important in that the Admissions and Discharge Books for HMHS Assaye are retained by the National Archive in the MH106 series. I believe it is the only hospital ship for which records are kept and I am therefore somewhat fortunate that my grandfather's evacuation, amongst other troops, is recorded on that day. My grandfather was eventually evacuated from Malta to England on 26th March 1916 on HS Egypt.

Kind regards

Alan

The link to hospital ships provided by Ken is very interesting and many thanks for that. One particular ship of interest however I believe is missing from the web site. I am aware that HMHS Assaye evacuating troops from Gallipoli, docked briefly at Mudros, and then called at Malta on 15th December 1915. The ship is important in that the Admissions and Discharge Books for HMHS Assaye are retained by the National Archive in the MH106 series. I believe it is the only hospital ship for which records are kept and I am therefore somewhat fortunate that my grandfather's evacuation, amongst other troops, is recorded on that day. My grandfather was eventually evacuated from Malta to England on 26th March 1916 on HS Egypt.

Kind regards

Alan

Thanks Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd report that my trip to Gallipoli went very well. My friend and I booked with TJ's Tours. It seemed to be cheaper than the others and they tailor-made our visit. They mostly do the Anzac battlefields but at our request they showed us the British battlefields. We began overlooking the whole area from Achi Baba, then went to Cape Helles to the French trenches area, a Turkish cemetery, Turkish Memorial, Helles Memorial, V beach, W beach (Lancashire Landing), the Lancashire Landing Cemetery, Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery, Krithia (Achitepe), a small local museum in Krithia, and we drove past Pink Farm and Gully Ravine. Best of all perhaps (as my Grandfather was in the 19th Division Bakery) the Guide took the trouble to find out where Bakery Beach was exactly (it was between W and X beaches). During the trip the guide 'found' three relics and gave them to me. A piece of artillery shell in the French trenches, a small shrapnel ball from a shell and an English bullet (unused). I'm not sure if he dropped them from his trouser turn-up or if they were really in the ground! Either way I saw the exact same relics in the museum, so they are genuinely from Gallipoli.

A very poignant trip and I'm glad I did it.