Mandy xxxx

Captain Richard Raymond Willis

Major Cuthbert Bromley

Sergeant Frank Stubbs

Sergeant Alfred Richards

Sergeant John Grimshaw

Private William Keneally

(rank at the time)

All 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusilers. Had Moorhouses's book nearby- a favourite Gallipoli book.

Scott

Scott,

Moorhouse's book 'Hell's Foundations' was the first on Gallipoli that I was given: a great book

On this subject I also recommend Snelling's book 'VCs of the First World War – Gallipoli'

By the way, the latter gives slightly different ranks for the six Lancs heroes.

To add to the fun here this ANZAC/Gallipoli Day, can anyone name the six VCs at V Beach?

Clue – they were all navy

Charles Tisdall was one of them I believe but apart from that I am ignorant :innocent:

George Leslie Drewry RNR

Wilfred St Aubyn Malleson RN

George M Samson RNR

Edward Unwin RN

William C Williams RN

+ Tisdall

All were involved in various ways with the landing of men at V beach from the steamer River Clyde under intense fire.

Samson was severely wounded and on recuperation in the UK he was presented with a white feather by a stranger because he was in civvies!

Williams' award was posthumous.

Jonathan

Correct Jonathan,

Williams' posthumus award was very tragic

Snelling quotes Capt E Unwin – “Williams came up to me and asked if he could not come. I told him I was full up and that I did not want any more petty officers, to which he replied, 'I'll chuck my hook (give up his rating) if you will let me come', and I did, to his cost but everlasting glory.”

6 VCs before breakast.

Is this not one of the factoids of the war? I'm sure I've read that the LF's were given breakfast before they went into action.

John,

I recollect this subject as being one of the first topics discussed when I joined this forum nine years ago

You are most probably right about the lads having already breakfasted

My feelings nine years ago were that some newspaper sub-editor had read Lewis Caroll's books on Alice where he had found (and liked)

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast"

regards

Michael

• Admin

On 25th August 1915 The Times newspaper in reported on the LG entry of the previous day under the headline

"Three Lancashire V.C.'S

Selection by their Comrades".

These were the VCs awarded to Captain Willis

Sgt Richards and

Pte Keneally

The citation concludes, 'Amongst the many very gallant officers and men engaged in this most hazardous undertaking Cpt. Willis, Sgt Richards and Pte Keneally have been selected by their comrades as having performed the most signal acts of bravery and devotion to duty'. The article goes on to record the precedent for the choice of a comrade by his fellows to wear the V.C. on their behalf goes back to the Indian Mutiny.

Hunter Weston, commanding 29th Division in recognition of the courage and sacrifice of the Fusiliers, asked them to nominate six names which were chosen by ballot among the survivors. The War Office in accordance with custom for ' collective acts of bravery' awarded just three to the first names on the list.

It took nearly two years of lobbying for the other three nominations to be given the award by which time Captain Bromley had drowned on 15 August 1915; Sjt Stubbs had died of wounds and was a posthumous nomination. The remaining three awards were finally gazetted on 15 March 1917.

Cpl Grimshaw's originalDCM gazetted on the 16th November 1915 was cancelled.

Not to diminish the individual awards or their commemoration today, I thought it was an interesting footnote to an immortal headline and an insight to the allocation of awards.

Ken

Ken,

It would be interesting to know exactly when that Immortal Headline was written

As you have pointed out, it could not have been seen in black and white before 15 March 1917

regards

Michael

I am bemused. The member who styles himself 'Lancashire Fusilier' is all over the forum, eagerly answering questions on any and every topic, but there have been a number of threads about the LFs in the last couple of weeks, and they all seem to have somehow escaped his attention ...

Thanks for taking part guys, just could not let them be forgotten!

xxxxxx

My link to Cuthbert Bromley?

He served with the LF's, I am from Lancashire and he lived in Seaford which is where I now reside. Pass his old house everytime I go to work! Which will be everyday for 7 days starting Saturday!!!!

Mandy

William Keneally was a local lad and his VC is brought out of the bank vault by his familly once a year to attend the Remembrance Service at our local comprehensive. I always made sure that my history students knew about him and his comrades in advance of the Service and many have had the honour to actually hold the medal.

Remembering today, 26th April

the last two of the 14 Victoria Crosses awarded For Valour at the landings

Lieutenant Colonel Charles Hotham Montagu Doughty-Wiylie and Captain Garth Neville Walford