Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private C. E. GREEN (M.G. Corps) d 4-11-1917

phil1963

Folks,

I may have had a massive piece of luck trying to chap on a war memorial who is only listed as C. GREEN, although membership records show a C. E. GREEN and later a Charles GREEN. If all three are the same fella, then I have a Charles E. GREEN to hunt! One of the eleven C. E. GREEN's K.I.A. in W.W.1 is the chap below:

GREEN, CHARLES EDWARD, Rank: Private, Service No: 16055, Date of Death: 04/11/1917, Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 237th Coy. Memorial TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Enquiries with a Machine Gun Corps enthusiast gave the following reply:

"I think that the C E Green you have identified could well have a connection with your club as he was local. There is a database of Great War casualties called 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' - available on a searchable CD. In the case of 16055 Pte Charles Edward Green he: was born in Peckham, Surrey, enlisted at Camberwell, resided at Peckham and was formerly 16768 in the Royal Berkshire Regt. (everyone in the MGC first entered the Army through another unit)."

If anyone can add any more I will be forever grateful - as this chap is on the cusp of being traced!!!

Phil.

SDGW shows

Name: Charles Edward Green

Birth Place: Peckham, Surrey

Residence: Peckham

Death Date: 4 Nov 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Camberwell

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps

Battalion: (Infantry)

Number: 16055

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 16768, R. Berks Regt.

Posted to France on 25 August 1916

Hi

His MIC shows Brit & Vic MGC 101 B11 and 15 Star MGC/4C 75. Perhaps the rolls can add a bit more.

Regards Barry

Theres a birth register for Charles Edward Green in 4th / 1884 in Camberwell ( a tad away from Peckham)

There are 4 or 5 possables in the 1911 census, need a bit more info to tie him down

Grant

Edit - where is the memorial ?

Thanks for the replies and so fast too. I have checked freebmd for his marriage and he is probably one of these ones:

----------------------------------------------

Marriages Dec 1906

GREEN Charles Edward Pancras 1b 63

Marriages Mar 1909

GREEN Charles Edward St.Geo.H.Sq. 1a 744

-----------------------------------------------

Marriages Dec 1909

-----------------------------------------------

GREEN Charles Edward Paddington 1a 108

"Hi - the memorial is at Surrey Cricket Club at The Oval in kennington"

Do we know that he was definatly married ?

Grant

Found a Charles Green living at 103 Warham St, Kennington in the 1911

Birth given as Lambeth 1882

Working as a Dustman for Lambeth Council

Married to an Alice (for 7 yrs), she's born 1883 Camberwell

According to BDM's he'e either a Jesse F or a Francis J as middle names :-(

Grant

Co-incidentally, I found a previous thread regarding a mystery C Green on a plaque for 4 fallen Millwall football players. - http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com/memorial:new-cross-millwall-fc-ww1-war-memorial

The main suspect was another Charles Edward Green, 17/Middlesex KIA 28/04/17 - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5030&st=150

It did cross my mind that a sportsman could be involved in both games in those days, but I suppose it's unlikely. Just though i'd mention it.

I was at cricket last week and someone mentioned that there was a C. Green on the Millwall FC war memorial - small world. It could well be that he played both sports - many did. I can't access the CWGC site at the moment for some reason, but could always get hold of the newspaper article as that may show more details of the player. My pal "Whisky" Jim Murray wrote the history of Millwall FC so he may know more. There surely should be mentions in the press about a footballer KIA?

Here's the alleged Millwall man, while CWGC is working;

GREEN, CHARLES E.

Service No:TF/203188

Date of Death:28/04/1917

Regiment/Service:Middlesex Regiment 17th Bn.

Panel Reference Bay 7.

MemorialARRAS MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Husband of Eliza Green, of 12, Russell Rd., Hendon, London.

This website says he played right-back for Millwall in the war competitions 1915-1917.2

On the 1911 census, he's a tram washer in Finchley...

The chap I was referred to (who was a member of the Machine Gun Corps) lived and was born in Peckham, VERY close to Millwall's ground - not sure how they have deduced that the chap above; living in North London is their man!!

Folks,

I may have had a massive piece of luck trying to chap on a war memorial who is only listed as C. GREEN, although membership records show a C. E. GREEN and later a Charles GREEN. If all three are the same fella, then I have a Charles E. GREEN to hunt! One of the eleven C. E. GREEN's K.I.A. in W.W.1 is the chap below:

GREEN, CHARLES EDWARD, Rank: Private, Service No: 16055, Date of Death: 04/11/1917, Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 237th Coy. Memorial TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Enquiries with a Machine Gun Corps enthusiast gave the following reply:

"I think that the C E Green you have identified could well have a connection with your club as he was local. There is a database of Great War casualties called 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' - available on a searchable CD. In the case of 16055 Pte Charles Edward Green he: was born in Peckham, Surrey, enlisted at Camberwell, resided at Peckham and was formerly 16768 in the Royal Berkshire Regt. (everyone in the MGC first entered the Army through another unit)."

If anyone can add any more I will be forever grateful - as this chap is on the cusp of being traced!!!

Phil.

Charles Edward Green originally joined the 6th R west Kent as 7477 at Camberwell, then transferred to the Royal Berks 8/2/1915 as 16768 and was then transferred to the 237 Coy MGC 26/1/1916

His address was given as 71 Southwood Road, Rustall, Kent.

He was born 1879 at Peckham

Hope this helps

John

Thanks for that - there were 11 C. E. Green's KIA in WW1 and this is where they lived - it looks like we have two living in Rusthall:

Of the eleven we have details for some:

1) Lived in Bucks – aged 21

2) Lived in Rusthall near Tunbridge Wells – aged 38

3) Canadian

4) Lived U/K Second Lieut in London Rifle Brigade - an officer too.

5) Lived in Leicestershire – aged 22

6) Lived in Hendon, London – aged 35

7) Lived in Edinburgh, Scotland – aged 20

8) Lived U/K Private in Machine Gun Corps

9) Lived U/K Second Lieut in King's Shropshire Light Infantry

10) Lived in Southampton

11) Lived U/K - a Saddler in Essex Yeomanry

Does / did the cricket club have a minimum joining age ?

If you give the death dates in your list above or work out their birth dates, that would make a census search easier

Also he might have died in the UK - 15 C E's listed between 1914 and 1921, some can be ruled out by age.

Grant

An interesting point. In the 1922 handbook the club say that schoolboy members (whose number rose about 1000% after the Great War) would be limited to a total of 450. There are some instances of there being about 20 schoolboy members some seasons prior to that. I cannot find a link to the cricket club at the moment for the chap below, or a mention on the CWGC site that he was K.I.A. ...... but his C.V. looks promising. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF HE FOUGHT, BUT IS NOT YET SHOWN AS K.I.A. (Like William Burrell who is also on the memorial).

GREEN, Charles Ernest. Amateur. Born at Walthamstow, Essex, 26th August 1846.

Died at Theydon Grove, Essex, 4th December 1916, educated at Uppingham School, where he was in the cricket eleven 1859-64. He went to Cambridge, and represented the University at cricket 1865-68 and played for Sussex, Middlesex and for Essex for whom he was Chairman 1886-1912 and President 1913. He was President of M.C.C. 1905. He was a noted huntsman and was Master of the Essex Foxhounds for many years. A shipowner, he was living at Theydon Grove, Epping, Essex, 1894-1905.

Still at Theydon Grove in 1911

1891 listed as a Shipyard Owner

1881 listed as a Ship owner, for Nav Ser (on shore)

Thought he would have been to old to have fought, he was 64 in 1911

Grant

• 3 years later...

Something which adds a little more weight to Charles E Green (Middlesex R, TF/203188) being the Millwall player is a mention in http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/Bob_Whiting_of_BHA.htm, which is very well researched. His full name is given as Charles Edward Green. I'm not a Millwall supporter, so don't have any books containing player stats sadly.

http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/millwall-remember-fitting-tribute-2075082.aspx (mentioned above somewhere) refers to a George Green as well, might they be brothers? They'd surely be listed on a census if so.