Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medical conditions

Guest K. Halston

Guest K. Halston

On receiving my Gt. Gt. Grandfathers WW1 records (from the burnt collection, very readable considering I was so lucky in finding them)

I am at a loss to what a certain medical term means on his WW1 forms. He was in 2/4 Lincoln Regiment and the medical terms are when he was in the field after embarking at Le Havre:

On his Casualty form - Active service it has Classified P.B on 3 separate dates (1917) it also has Classified P.B (debility) on the 3rd date, does anyone know what this Classified P.B means?

I wonder if it is 'P[artially] B[lind]'? If so, several causes could be responsible, particularly the effects of gas.

Robert

It means Permanent Base, implying that he was unfit for active service and only employable in the base area in France.

Charles M

Guest K. Halston

Thank you so much both of you!

I have sent hundreds of emails to WW1 'experts' and all have replied they don't know.

Robert

Thats what my brother thought at first was Partially Blind, but before leaving it at that I had to clarify the exact meaning before stopping my search on the P.B

Charles M

He was transfered to Labour Corps during the 1st and 2nd entry of of the P.B so that explains it now.

Again thank you so much!