Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D/190 Bde RFA

wmfinch

My Grandfather 199319 Gnr Reginald Charles Evans RFA won the MM during the Battle of Cambrai whilst serving with 55th West Lancashire Division D/276 Battery. With grateful thanks to people on this forum, I know have a very good picture of his actions during that period. However, having now studied his Unit Register Card and Certificate of Employment During the War, he ended his service with D/190 Bde RFA as a P/L/Bdr. I also have a Certificate signed by Brig General J Oldfield (?) RU (?) attesting to Bdr R C Evans, D Battery, 190th Brigade RFU (?) being on duty during the victory salute of 101 guns on the west bank of the Rhine at Cologne at 6pm on Sat 28th June 1919. The certificate also states "The honour of announcing the glad tidings fell appropriately enough to the London Division Artillery and I heartily congratulate you on being on duty at the parade which will rank as one of the most famous ceremonial parades in the history of the world" I'm struggling to find information about the 190 Brigade, and when my Grandfather was transferred to it. Any help would be gratefully received.

wmf

There are three segments to the 190 Brigade RFA War Diaires,all for it's time with 41 Division,due to it being moved off to Italy for 3 months from Nov 1917 to Feb 1918:

WO95/2625 France and Flanders May 1916 to Oct 1917.

WO95/4242 Italy Nov 1917 to Feb 1918,and,

WO95/2625 France,Flanders and Germany Mar 1918 to Oct 1919.

None of these are digital as yet so need to be read in situ at Kew.

Sotonmate

WMF

My grandfather also served in 190 Brigade RFA, but 'C' Battery. I have a previous post that includes a picture of him as a member of 'C' Battery Cross County Team at Cologne in 1919. So far I've been unable to find out about their role in Cologne but perhaps 'C' battery was part of the 101 gun salute? I would be grateful for any information on that event.

wmf

There are three segments to the 190 Brigade RFA War Diaires,all for it's time with 41 Division,due to it being moved off to Italy for 3 months from Nov 1917 to Feb 1918:

WO95/2625 France and Flanders May 1916 to Oct 1917.

WO95/4242 Italy Nov 1917 to Feb 1918,and,

WO95/2625 France,Flanders and Germany Mar 1918 to Oct 1919.

None of these are digital as yet so need to be read in situ at Kew.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for that Sotonmate.....looks like another trip to London :-)

WMF

My grandfather also served in 190 Brigade RFA, but 'C' Battery. I have a previous post that includes a picture of him as a member of 'C' Battery Cross County Team at Cologne in 1919. So far I've been unable to find out about their role in Cologne but perhaps 'C' battery was part of the 101 gun salute? I would be grateful for any information on that event.

Hello Gunnersdad,

I'm not sure how much I can help, because all I have is my Grandfather's Scroll to go by. The full script from the Scroll is as follows:-

Peace was signed at Versailles on Saturday 28th June 1919.

At 6pm on that day 190th Brigade RFU (or it could be RFA) fired a salute of 101 guns at a position on the west bank of the Rhine, just north of the Hohenzollern Bridge, Cologne.

The firing of the salute across the Rhine in the centre of one of the most important cities in Germany signalled the end of a great task. The unparalleled sacrifices and undying heroism of the peoples of the British Empire has ended in victory for our Motherland.

The honour of announcing the glad tidings fell appropriately enough to the London Division Artillery and I heartily congratulate you on being on duty at the parade which will rank as one of the most famous ceremonial parades in the history of the world.

To Bdr R C Evans, D Battery (hand written), 190th Brigade RFU

Signed by J (?) Oldfield Brig. Genl, RU, Commanding London Divisional Artillery.

The Scroll must have been produced in significant numbers as the individual names were hand written, whilst the rest of the script is in a lovely printed typeset . Assuming there were 6 people on each gun, there must have been over 600 Scrolls handed out. Is it possible a Scroll exists with your Grandfather's name on it? The local experts here in Cheltenham have never seen such a scroll before, but I'm not sure if the Royal Artillery Museum (Firepower) have seen one.

I Googled the modern map of the Hohenzollern Bridge and compared the area with a 1919 Postcard my Grandfather acquired. The Postcard shows all the guns lined up, but from quite a distance, so no individual could be identified.

It would be very exciting if your Grandfather was at the same 'event'. Please keep me informed if you find anything else out.

V/R

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Thanks for that, I'll certainly keep looking. Any chance you could post the picture of the 101 guns?

Just had an email back from the Royal Artillery Library at Woolwich. They apparently have quite a lot of information about 190 Brigade in Cologne but you have to make an appointment to visit the reading rooms to see it.

Hello Gunnersdad,

Things are looking positive for your search aren't they? I went to Woolwich recently and found them very helpful. On that occasion, I was researching Sgt Cyril E Gourley, who won the VC. My Grandfather won his MM in the same action on 30th Nov 1917. Let them know what you are looking for before you go. When I did that, the relevant files were waiting for me!! I have trouble scanning items to publish here (not sure why), but if you would like to e mail me your address, I'll scan one for you and mail it to you. My e mail is waynemfinch@yahoo.co uk.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thank you for posting the picture of another Scroll David......it's identical to my Grandfather's.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wayne

Sorry just picked up on your kind offer. I will send details. Also thanks to David #6 that's what I was looking for :thumbsup:

Regards Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne

Thanks for supplying these pictures. I now have a copy of the certificate in regards to 'C' Battery. The certificate speaks of 190Brigade RFA so maybe 'A' and 'B' were there too?

I think at least one of the statues seen at the end of Hohenzollern Bridge is Kaiser Wilhelm, how appropriate. It's interesting to compare pictures of the bridge in 1945, no train crossing then. I think it was blown up by the German Army rather than the allies.

Mal

post-86894-0-53458800-1335619447.jpg

post-86894-0-21590300-1335619542.jpg

Hi Mal, Many thanks for posting the pictures. My local 'Snappy Snaps' blew them up to A4 from postcard size. Thankfully, my Grandfather had the foresight to buy them in the first place and keep them safe as family heirlooms. I was looking at a Website about Cologne which shows the bridge collapsed in the middle of the river after a massive air raid, but it could have been blown up before then. Does anyone know for sure? Are you able to post a copy of the 'C' Battery certificate? It would be great to see it :-)

All the very best,

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Sorry missed the second part of your question. Regarding 'C' Battery follow David's link at #6 above.

Mal

Thank you Mal, I've read it now :-)

Wayne

I've just found this postcard entitled: (6) Watching The Guns Fire From Hohenzollen Bridge June 28th 1919. If this picture is number 6 perhaps there was a whole series, wonder where the others are?

Mal

post-86894-0-45016700-1336056521.jpg

Hi Mal,

The postcard you just posted above is definitely part of a set, as the other pictures of the guns were scanned from original postcards passed to me by my Grandfather. Both originals were produced by the same publisher (Hunters, Buxton) and the picture looking at the guns from the bridge is number 2 in the set and the picture looking towards the bridge is number 3. Thank you so much for posting it :-)

Does anyone know how to find copies of the rest of the set please?

With very best wishes,

Wayne

Hi Wayne

I can't believe it's proving so difficult to find out more information about the event. It was obviously a momentous occasion and judging by the crowds on the bridge and promenade widely publicised. Will keep looking.

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the postcards of the guns lined up along the bank of the Rhine in Cologne on Peace Day 28th June 1919, I now have copies of No's 2,3,4,5 and 6. Does anyone have a copy of No 1 that they could share with me please? Also, does anyone know if any others were produced after No 6 ?

Many thanks for your help,

V/R

Wayne

Sorry, I should have said they were produced by Hunters, Buxton

Wayne

• 3 months later...
Guest Neil Vaughan

My Grandfather was also present at the salute. Sgt Frank Granville MM (awarded at Passchendaelle). His gun was the 3rd to be fired he kept the scroll and the 18 pdr shell case along with six photo postcards. He was offered £5.00 for the shell case on the day but refused. He spent some time in Italy according to his service and pay book. He was in A Battery 190th RFA by the end of the war. However he enlisted in 1914 as Frank G Brown and after being split up from his brother and friends he re enlisted as Frank Granville to rejoin them. (B Battery 101 brigade RFA) My uncle lost a lung to mustard gas, not getting his mask on soon enough, and Frank Lost many of his pals in counter offensives and offensive creeping barrages. He won his medal at Passchendaelle by retrieveing a gun under fire during a counter offensive that had been left to the enemy. He aquired a team of horses and some men and under his leadership they retrieved the gun without loss of life. I have been given His records and memrobilia to keep from my mother. I'm Honoured to Be a Steward of them.

Guest Neil Vaughan

The picture no1 is of the 1st gun being fired, looking from the bridge down the line of guns. sorry but I haven't got a way to scan it. yet!

Hello Neil,

Regarding No 1 Postcard, I've now got one.....so I have the whole set :-), but many thanks anyway. I was amiss at not posting that fact earlier. Regarding your Grandfather, he must have been a VERY brave man indeed. Like you, I'm the custodian of my Grandfather's medals and paperwork, and am proud to be so. It's amazing to know that our Grandfathers were at the same 'event'. I wonder if they knew each other? I cannot find out when my Grandfather was transferred from the 55th West Lancashire Division to the 190th (anyone any ideas please?), but I do have pictures of him in Germany in 1919. Incidently, I'm recreating a 55th West Lancs uniform as worn by my Grandfather (with the help of a seamstress). I'll send you copies of the pictures I have on your private e mail as I can't seem to scan them here for some reason.

All the very best,

Wayne