Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SPORRANS

Muerrisch

Can someone help an ignorant Sassenach please?

I would like a guide to sporrans to ID fotos of Highland Scots, [and Pipers of Lowland], in full dress.

My internet searches have left me a little short of understanding, as in many subjects.

And, if some kind souls can help, a "since when" for each design would be helpful.

And, if you want independence, thats OK, and if not, thats OK too!

I can take care of Gordons for you not much else photgraphically but I think somewhere I have a contemporary (I am thinking 1911/12) table that compares Sporrans of the different regiments (written description, no pics IIRC)

Should also note that there are variantions between Officers/ Senior NCOs/ ORs sporran patterns too within the same regiment - this is usually the degree or ornateness in the cantle (the metal bit at the top)Pipers too sometimes!

I will try and dig it out and post the table unless someone beats me to it.

Chris

Should also note that there are variantions between Officers/ Senior NCOs/ ORs sporran patterns too within the same regiment - this is usually the degree or ornateness in the cantle (the metal bit at the top)Pipers too sometimes!

And sometimes variations between different battalions in the same regiment - a huge minefield...

Here is the full dress uniform of a pipe major from the Royal Scots Fusiliers (the 1st and 2nd [ie Regular] Battalions (- I imagine that the Territorial and New Army battalions had similar but can't be certain) from around 1900 to 1928 showing piper's sporran.

[in 1928 the tartan changed from Government (ie Black Watch) to Dress Erskine (mostly red with dark green stripes), the doublet/jacket from green to blue, and possibly other aspects of the uniform as well, but the sporran stayed the same, even for the Royal Highland Fusiliers, until the very latest round of amalgamations.]

William

post-49411-0-07574500-1326499648.jpg

Full Dress details from 1911 Dress Regulations for the Army.

post-14525-0-16311400-1326506484.jpg

Note: I believe this describes Officers' sporrans in full dress only.

Chris

Many thanks ...... so, for crude recognition purposes in most cases, the colour of the hairy bit, and the colour and number of danglers is diagnostic?

Sort of ............

The A&SH dress badger sporrans as per the description supplied by Chris are suprisingly common still - I find them delightfully creepy myself... :ph34r:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-WWI-Earlier-Argyll-Sutherland-Highlanders-Badger-Head-Sporran-/260927249047?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3cc079da97

Many thanks ...... so, for crude recognition purposes in most cases, the colour of the hairy bit, and the colour and number of danglers is diagnostic?

Sort of ............

with the emphasis on the latter!

I think in officers' full dress more so than with O/Rs. For example Gordons and Seaforths have white hair sporran with two black tassles. The cantles differ however.

I will try and dig out some pictures over the weekend (we get an extra day this week)

Chris

Some more (mostly lowland) pipers' sporrans to add to Chris' highlanders and my Royal Scots Fusiliers (all of these are roughly 1900 until at least the end of the Great War):

The Royal Scots piper: white sporran with two black tassels, the cantle is a silver regimental crest with a distinctive black enamel background.

The King's Own Scottish borderers piper: very similar to Royal Scots, with white sporran and two black tassels, but the cantle is completely silver.

Scots Guards piper: white sporran with three black tassels, a silver cantle with black enamel background,

Highland Light Infantry piper: [getting complicated] pipers - white sporran with three black tassels, a silver and black enamel cantle, very similar to Scots Guards apart from regimental crest on cantle. (I have seen a photo of a HLI pipe-major, taken in 1910, which shows him with six black tassels rather than the ordinary pipers' three) . HLI Officers and NCOs, in battalions which wore the kilt, had a wonderful black sporran with three white tassels, with a gold and black enamel cantle.

Scottish Rifles piper: [more complicated - the regular battalions insisted on being different from each other!]

1st battalion: ("The Cameronians") a black sporran with two white tassels and a silver cantle.

2nd battalion: ("2nd Scottish Rifles", never "Cameronians") a grey sporran with three black tassels, silver/white metal cantle.

I think that the Territorial battalions followed the 2nd Scottish Rifles pattern (since they did with cap-badges and other uniform details), but I don't know about the New Army battalions.

William

Found a couple - will dig out more.

post-14525-0-93181600-1326657257.jpg

Gordon Officer (as described above)

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

post-14525-0-83697400-1326657424.jpg

Just to demonstrate the variety All Gordon Highlanders, all Great War or just before:

post-14525-0-43525200-1326667590.jpg

Piper - photo dated 1913 (this is not the usual pattern in my experience)

post-14525-0-24728700-1326667638.jpg

Piper - photo dates 1913-1915

post-14525-0-40797500-1326667606.jpg

Piper (wartime photo probably 1916-18)

post-14525-0-90586100-1326667597.jpg

O/R - photo dates Oct 1914-Feb 1915

post-14525-0-42332500-1326667613.jpg

Pre War NCO dress

post-14525-0-42205500-1326667624.jpg

NCO

Gordons = 2 dark danglers on a pale hairy!

Excellent! So the Argyll and Sutherlands = 6 white danglers on a black hairy, plus head of distinctly annoyed-looking badger. :lol:

Many thanks ........ Gordons = 2 dark danglers on a pale hairy!

Yes.....but

post-14525-0-56671000-1326735537.jpg

post-14525-0-59740000-1326735543.jpg

and Argylls O/Rs don't get the Angry Badger!

post-14525-0-26150000-1326735584.jpg

Chris

A hair sporran had to be trimmed to fit the wearer. An over enthusiastic recruit could easily end up with his own pattern. ( Like levelling the legs on a table).

A hair sporran had to be trimmed to fit the wearer. An over enthusiastic recruit could easily end up with his own pattern. ( Like levelling the legs on a table).

OR HE COULD JUST HITCH IT UP A BIT?

post-14525-0-28598100-1326736832.jpg

(Don't ask me - I have no idea what is going on here)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The A&SH dress badger sporrans as per the description supplied by Chris are suprisingly common still - I find them delightfully creepy myself... :ph34r:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc079da97

It's the stunned expression on the Angry Badgers face that always amuses me... A bit like the racoon caps worn by Canadians - but then, if you had a Mountie's head up your chuff... :w00t:

OR HE COULD JUST HITCH IT UP A BIT?

post-14525-0-28598100-1326736832.jpg

(Don't ask me - I have no idea what is going on here)

Chris

Now that is a cracking picture! It also illustrates the fact that although the camera never lies, the guy in the picture might be having a laugh. I wonder if the corporal had just got his ticket?

Grumpy,

I can't add too much to this except to say I hope you success. Except for basic ORs types I know very little and this is a frustrating topic.

I can only say I hope you can put together charts like you did for armbands for the sporran knowledge deficients like me.

Joe Sweeney

Grumpy,

I can't add too much to this except to say I hope you success. Except for basic ORs types I know very little and this is a frustrating topic.

I can only say I hope you can put together charts like you did for armbands for the sporran knowledge deficients like me.

Joe Sweeney

Joe, thanks .... I will!

Joe, thanks .... I will!

This only shows the basics but it is at least a start.

post-599-0-73351000-1328117666.jpg

Joe, thanks .... I will!

Will the project include sporrans worn with KD in India?

• 4 months later...

Grumpy,

I can give you a guide to sporrans for each Highland regiment in full dress, and possibly for Lowland pipers, that looks something like the following if you still need this info. This is for the Black Watch as an example; the BW is actually a simple case with only three patterns of sporrans.

Let me know if you want more.

post-50252-0-70516200-1338835942_thumb.j ORs, Sergeants before approx 1904

post-50252-0-99532700-1338836028_thumb.j Officers in review order, pipers, sergeants after 1904 (This picture is of the RSM)

post-50252-0-50272100-1338836046_thumb.j Officers in levee dress