Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Carl R. Sohncke, 28th Infantry Regiment, Company M, AEF

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I should preface this opening post by saying I am not an active militaria collector by any stretch of the imagination. However, every now and then, I find something that speaks to me, and I pick it up...today was just such a day. I came across a small thrift shop today and in it, almost by accident while walking out the door empty-handed, noted a small stack of postcards and letters. What caught my attention is that one of them was addressed to a member of the American Expeditionary Force, France. I ended up making an offer to the owner for the lot, and he accepted, and the 1"-thick stack of letters sits beside me as I write this.

All but one of the letters were written by Sergeant Carl R. Sohncke, 28th Infantry Regiment, Company M., while he was stationed early in the war in Panama; all were written to his sister. The one letter that was not written by him was written by his sister to him, and was dated May 14th, 1918. The letter's envelope has a variety of what I believe to be censor's marks, etc., but is stamped 'Deceased' and 'Return to Writer' and 'Directory Division M.P.E.S. A.E.F.'.

According to two sources I have found so far (online) Sergeant Carl R. Sohncke was killed on May 28, 1918 while on reconnaissance. This fact is of paramount importance, I believe, because this was literally the opening day of the war for the AEF: the Battle of Cantigny.

I did some further searching sonce I returned home and can find no trace of where he is buried, which seems odd to me. Certainly he has no record in the American Battle Monuments Commission's website, nor is he in the National Veterans Gravesite Location system, either. Find-A-Grave has nothing too.

I was able to find a picture of the man himself!

post-32240-0-63140000-1326317347.jpg

I am at the very beginning of my research into this man. I plan on requesting his file from the New York State Archives, since he was a New Yorker, but first I need to find his DOB! Strangely enough, I already learned that Carl even has a New York City park named after him!

Sohncke Square

Would materials such as I am describing be historically important? Does the picture above tell you anything? I know nothing about American uniforms, so I am not even sure what I am looking at, to be honest. I just downloaded 'The History of the First Division During the World War, 1917-1919. This man is listed as Killed In Action in the Roll of Honor in the back of the book. Looks like I have some reading to do!

Ideas, suggestions, and advice would be most welcome.

Daniel

The letter returned after his death:

post-32240-0-83117600-1326319253.jpg

Looks like they were squaring off against the German 82nd Reserve Division at this time. More reading to do!

-Daniel

Another angle which adds interest, at least for me: his family is German.

His father's immigration record:

Name: Max Sohncke

Departure Date: 23 Jul 1884

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860

Age Year: 24

Family: Household members

Residence: Königsberg, Ostpreußen

Ship Name: Rugia

01rugia(1)-hapag.jpg

Captain: Albers

Shipping Line: Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft

Ship Type: Dampfschiff

Accommodation: Zwischendeck

Ship Flag: Deutschland

Port of Departure: Hamburg

Port of Arrival: New York

From the 1910 Census:

Name: Carl Sohncke

Age in 1910: 15

Birth Year: 1895

Birthplace: New York

Home in 1910: Queens Ward 2, Queens, New York

Race: White

Relation to Head of House: Son

Marital Status: Single

Father's Name: Max Sohncke

Father's Birthplace: Germany

Mother's name: Alma Sohncke

Mother's Birthplace: Germany

Household Members:

Name Age

Max Sohncke 49

Alma Sohncke 47

Elnora Sohncke 19

Carl Sohncke 15

Ida Sohncke 10

Daniel:

What a great find! I found the identical pic of Sohncke in the New York section (Vol. 2) of

Soldiers of the Great War. Interestingly, he is misidentified as Charles R. Sohncke.

I was able to find the page online--easier than trying to scan the book.

See: http://larchmonthistory.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6429&title=soldiers-of-the-great-war-2c-volume-iii-2c-page-312&cat=all

Sohncke is 3rd row down.

If I am not mistaken, the insignia on his collar may be for a musician.

Chris

You may wish to share copies with this group, Forgotten New York.

Here is a page they have which shows present-day pic of Sohncke's home:

http://forgotten-ny.com/2005/10/woodside-queens-part-2/

Chris

Hi Chris,

Wow, those are great finds! Amazing his house is still standing after all this time.

I am going to try and contact the cemetery to see if they have his full DOB on file. Ancestry has almost nothing on him.

Oh, I also found this article about the dedication of the park in his honor, and gives some more details about how he was killed:

post-32240-0-80861200-1326333047.jpg

-Daniel

Daniel:

Nice to find the description, however brief, of the action in which he died. And how obscure can you get to find the music reference--amazing what is on the web.

Chris

Daniel;

Great project! I was raised in Jackson Heights, a mile or two down Roosevelt Boulevard from his park, which must have been close to his family's home.

The engagement in which he died is interesting; the French provided the Americans with tank and flame-thrower support to assist their attack.

Bob Lembke

Wow, what a wealth of information you've gleaned about him already!

Will you publish (here) the contents of the letters?

Well done Daniel. This is an excellent thread- especially as it's blending in with further information from Chris. It'll be good to get a very detailed history of an US soldier - we've not really had that focus before.

Well done that man!:thumbsup:

I will publish the contents here in this thread. I have only read one of the letters, so this will be a discovery for all of us. I have no idea what they contain, but if the one letter I read is any indication, they will give some interesting glimpses into life in the American Army during wartime. They will, of course, not tell any tales of life at the front, because he died on his very first day at the front.

I will organize the letters in chronological order and start posting them here.

Daniel

I read the relevant sections of the diary of the 1st Infantry last night and has some outstanding pictures from the day Carl died, including pictures of the doughboys going over the top, the tanks and French flamethrowers. I will post those as well, and synopsis of the action on the day Carl met his end.

The odd thing is, had he lived, he would have have squared off against my own grandfather and his Prussian FAR regiment at Soissons.

Daniel

The first, a postcard addressed to:

Ms. Ida Sohncke

19 Greenpoint Avenue

Woodside, L.I. (Long Island)

New York

post-32240-0-00249300-1326390415.jpg

Las Cascadas

Panama, C.Z. (Canal Zone - DS)

October 16, 1915

Dear Ida,

Please write and let me know how you are getting along. Best regards to all.

Your loving brother,

Carl

Anything in brackets with my initials are my additions to add clarification to abbreviations, etc.

-Daniel

The next, an 11-page letter:

Las Cascadas

Panama, C.Z.

November 28, 1915

Dear Sis,

Received your beautiful Thanksgiving postal it is certainly an up-to-date card.

Sis, the people that say the "American Soldier" is not well drilled or used to hardships don't know any better. We sometimes even drill at night, when part of us stay in camp and the others go about 2 or 3 miles away and then at a given time those that are away from camp try to enter or see how near to Camp they can come unseen. And another thing we build all kinds of trenches (the lying, kneeling & standing trenches). Starting December the 1st, we will go on hikes and camp out, we'll do this for a couple of months and then we will go on the target range and shoot nearly every day for a month. An enemy would certainly have some time down here for they wouldn't know the trails and it is a very mountainous region covered with heavy brush there are no level places even our parade ground is all hilly.

I had a very interesting trip last night. I took a hike down to Culebra (about 3 miles from our camp). There I boarded a tug, right at the "Cluebra Slide" (which is the cause of the tie-up of the Canal). The tug hauled the dirt from the slide and emptied it into Gatun Lake which is a couple of hours ride from Culebra towards the Atlantic. (Look at the map which is in the back of the booklet I sent Papa a few days ago). I am going to Balboa this afternoon on the "Baseball Special". You know the government owns the railroad and steamship lines down here. We Soldiers get half-rate. We can take trips on the tugs anytime we want free.

I would send souvenirs home but they are very expensive and are only trash and most of them you could buy in New York. There are very queer things down here will explain them when I come home.

Sis, I am very sorry to say but it will be impossible for me to save enough in order to buy out in a year, for I am not making the side money I intended to. We had a camp newspaper and I received one-third shares of the profits, but it broke up, for the Camp reporter who is a very intelligent fellow went on the drunk and stayed away ten days without leave and is at present serving a three month sentence. Curse the booze! You can get a glass of rum for 2 1/2 cents down here (native rum).

Sis, let Ella read this letter tell her not to feel hurt for not writing her a letter for it would only be a repetition of this letter so you see I would have to write two letters saying the same things. So you as sisters can share the mail you receive of me.

Last but not least, I send you my most heartiest Congratulations for your Birthday and and the same time am wishing you all a "Merry Xmas" and a "Happy New Year" in case I haven't the time to write before then.

Having said my say, I remain,

Your Loving Brother,

Carl

PS Please write soon again. Mail will be appreciated.

-Daniel

Next, a 5-page letter:

Las Cascadas

Panama C.Z.

December 5, '15

Dear Ida,

I forgot to tell you something of the trip from N.Y. to Panama. On my way down here we passed Hayti where the U.S. is having a miniature war with the natives, also passed the Island of San Salvadore (or Wattlings Island) where Christopher Colombus first landed and, by the way, you know that picture that Papa has hanging over the mantlepiece in his office of "The Landing of Colombus" well that is supposed to represent that island, we also passed Cuba, the ship was only a stone-throw from it.

Ida, I am taking it for granted that you are interested to know something of a foreign country, that is my main reason for writing this letter in order to let you know.

Ida, it is certainly a great experience to visit a place like Panama City, in one section you will find natives in their primitive thatched-roof huts using crude utensils and methods of living, from there you can walk into the city proper where you'll find paved streets and Concrete houses (some are like castles) and parks. In "Panama City" you'll meet all kinds of people that come from different parts of the world, but the majority are Panamanian, Franch, Greek, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese.

I certainly was surprised when I passed a very artistic looking building and on it was a brass sign with the words "Deuscher Verein" on it.

Ida, there is certainly a great difference in just visiting a place country like thisand the other is staying there for three long years.

At first, when you see these things you take an interest in them but after seeing them over and over again you get used to them and think nothing of them.

Ida, to tell you the truth this is no place for a white man, I wish I was back in "God's Country", don't see how I am going to stand it for three years for as I have told you I'll be about a hundred $ short in order to buy out when a year in the service. I really know now dear Sis that I, your brother has given himself a severe self-punishment in joining the army and being sent to the God-forsaken place. It's my only lucky thing that I have that is "The Print Shop" it helps to pass some of my time away. I spend many a sleepless night thinking of what a fool I was.

I joined of my own accord so must make the best of it. Ida, I am going to tell you something confidently that I would never desert the Army, even though I am a kind of disgusted. (There were about 26,000 deserters of the Army last year). With regards to all,

I am,

Your Loving Brother,

Carl

PS Last but not least: - I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and tell the rest that I wish to be heartily remembered. -Carl

-Daniel

Lovely opening correspondence between the two Daniel, you can tell their closeness already.

Thanks for this, it's very much appreciated. I await the rest with great anticipation.

Next is another picture post card.

post-32240-0-18909200-1326395337.jpg

Panama C.Z.

Dec. 8 '15

Dear Ida,

This card is:

To show you what I mean by jungles.

Your bro.

Carl

The postcard has a printed description on the back:

Tropical Foliage, Chagres River

The Chagres River is the largest in the Isthmus and is navigable for small craft from the interior down to Gatun Lake. The natives bring down quantities of cocoanuts and fruits from small plantations along the banks.

-Daniel

Next, another photo postcard:

post-32240-0-34185400-1326395642.jpg

Panama C.Z.

Dec. 11th, 1915

Dear Ida,

My thoughts are of you to-day because it is your Birthday.

Ida, I am sending home a parcel at the same time as this card please write as soon as you receive it. So I may know.

Your loving brother

Carl

-Daniel

Another (and the second to last) picture postcard.

post-32240-0-20507700-1326395830.jpg

Panama, Dec. 15, 15

Dear Sis,

Many a times have I passed over this bridge you see in the picture. It is but 2 or 3 minutes walk to the Pacific ocean from this bridge.

From your loving bro.

Carl

This card has a description on the back:

Avenida Norte, Panama City

The narrow, clean and well paved streets of the City put to shame the condition of many streets in large cities in other countries. Under skilled administration the general sanitation is perfect and Panama City to-day is healthy, attractive and interesting.

-Daniel

The next 3-page letter has a note penned on the margin: My pen is very poor so excuse scribbling

Las Cascadas

Panama Canal Zone

January 4, 1916

Dear Sis:

Received your two very interesting letters and was delighted to hear from you and thank you ever so much in spending your time writing to me.

I thanked my friend ever so much for your sake he said he did it purely for the favor I did him so you don't have to feel as if you couldn't thank him enough. 'Tis all settled.

Sis, sometime ago Mae sent me a Thanksgiving card for which I would like to thank her, next time you see her you can tell her I wish to be heartily remembered to her. You can send her address and I'll drop her a line.

In regard to my pal "Bob Whitman" - although he is a perfect gentleman you have done the right thing. And you have also done the right thing in letting me know.

I will write very soon again as I just got called away.

I am, as ever,

Your loving brother,

Carl

In haste

-Daniel