Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Finlayson, born 1894 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Inspired by the resounding success with the help of my fellow pals into looking up Oalkey Vicary, I am looking into another relation of mine, from the Scottish line, Robert Finlayson, born 1894 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland, who was the right age to have served. He was the son of Alexander and Jane Finlayson. I see two MICs on Ancestry for a fellow with that name but I cannot see if either are 'my' Robert. I presently do not have a precise DOB for him which is complicating matters. Do I need the full DOB to match him? Or the above details sufficient?

I'm new to researching the British side of the family, so I apologize in advance for any dumb questions.

Thanks,

-Daniel

There seems to be a reasonable set of papers for this man, Daniel - does the address look promising and is he one of the men you identified? I'll have a look through in the hope of finding reference to family members.

Name: Robert Finlayson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Age at enlistment: 21

Residence: 7 Bruce St, Stirling

Document Year: 1915

Regimental Number: 60920

Regiment Name: Royal Engineers

ETA - father's name James, so not your man. Unfortunately can't see anyone else who might be of interest.

Thanks so much for looking. One of the more frustrating aspects of looking into my English/Scottish ancestors is a lack of concrete dates for most of them. I have queries out with some cousins more steeped in that side of the family; we'll see if that helps us connect any dots.

-Daniel

I searched 5 years either side of 1894, Daniel. Some others came up, but none in Stirlingshire. Who's the other one who interested you? I can check if his records have survived in the hope there are some useful details to rule him in or out with.

Hi,

When I searched in Ancestry under the British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 subsection, entering just his first and last name and year of birth (set to exact), I get two hits. I get no details displaying for either one. I assume one is the fellow you posted but I cannot see anything for the other chap.

Per my uncle, he shows up in the 1901 Census as 'Scholar (1901)'. I am not finding anything for his brothers Alexander (b.1886) or John (b. 1884) either, which is not helping.

Thanks again!

-Daniel

OK - I think this must be the other one (+/-1 year), later 480078 [or 480878] in the Labour Corps. Unfortunately the NoK section is illegible:-

Name: Robert Finlayson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895

Age at enlistment: 19

Residence: 40 Landell Terrace, Cowdenbeath Fife

Document Year: 1914

Regimental Number: 6602

Regiment Name: A & S Highlanders

In fact, looking at Robert or R Finlayson in the Medals Index Cards brings up about 40 men. I take it that you're aware that around 70% of the service papers were lost in a direct hit in WW2, so it would be pot luck as to whether the ones you seek have survived. Ideally, a family member will have a photo of him in uniform with a discernable cap badge or a copy of his original papers. Otherwise, it could be a difficult job to narrow it down. Do you know if he had a middle initial?

Hi Daniel,

My great Uncle, Robert Watson Finlayson #S/42119 is one of the Robert Finlaysons you are finding. He was killed in 1918. His service records are on ancestry but I spent quite a bit of time on researching him and found various other Roberts so will go through my records to see if anything applies to your relative.

Hazel C.

P.S. I only have the info. for the same Roberts as someone else mentioned on the forum. But I did look at the Scotland's People Website and cannot find any record of anyone of that name born in Falkirk around the same time. Could the info. you have about his birh place be incorrect? There are about four born in Stirling itself and Larbert.

H.C.

Hi all,

Inspired by the resounding success with the help of my fellow pals into looking up Oalket Vicary, I am looking into another relation of mine, from the Scottish line, Robert Finlayson, born 1894 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland, who was the right age to have served. He was the son of Alexander and Jane Finlayson. I see two MICs on Ancestry for a fellow with that name but I cannot see if either are 'my' Robert. I presently do not have a precise DOB for him which is complicating matters. Do I need the full DOB to match him? Or the above details sufficient?

I'm new to researching the British side of the family, so I apologize in advance for any dumb questions.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

My great Uncle, Robert Watson Finlayson #S/42119 is one of the Robert Finlaysons you are finding. He was killed in 1918. His service records are on ancestry but I spent quite a bit of time on researching him and found various other Roberts so will go through my records to see if anything applies to your relative.

Hazel C.

Hi Hazel,

That would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

-Daniel

Phoebus

I had a look for a Robert born 1894 in Falkirk on Scotlands People with no luck, but there was a birth entry for a Robert Finlayson in Grangemouth which neighbours Falkirk, Scotlands people is fantastic for geneology but it's pay as you go.

Sam

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

Inspired by the resounding success with the help of my fellow pals into looking up Oalkey Vicary, I am looking into another relation of mine, from the Scottish line, Robert Finlayson, born 1894 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland, who was the right age to have served. He was the son of Alexander and Jane Finlayson. I see two MICs on Ancestry for a fellow with that name but I cannot see if either are 'my' Robert. I presently do not have a precise DOB for him which is complicating matters. Do I need the full DOB to match him? Or the above details sufficient?

Thanks,

-Daniel

The Robert Finlayson mentioned above by Roughdiamond was born Grangemouth (which was/is in the Parish of Falkirk) on 15th Jul 1894.

He was the son of Alexander and Janet (a.k.a. Jessie) Finlayson (nee Paton) who were married in 1879 in Falkirk.

He is almost certainly the one recorded in the 1901 census as being the son of Alexander and 'Jane' Finlayson and as having older siblings called Elizabeth, Jane, John, Alexander, Annie and Christina.

The brother (Alexander), who was married to Annie Finlayson (nee Gibb), passed away in Perth, Scotland in 1954. His parents are recorded as having been Alexander and Jessie.

The other brother (John) was single and died in Grangemouth in March 1914. His parents are recorded as having been Alexander and Janet.

I don't whether there is any connection whatsover but are you aware that there is a Robert Finlayson. age 22 recorded on Ancestry who arrived in the UK (Glasgow) aboard a ship called 'Transylvania' from New York, USA on 20th Apr 1915. Mentions his occupation as 'machinist' and that he intended to reside in Scotland. Unfortunately it does not provide his actual place or date of birth. Thought it might be worth mentioning given your own location.

Hi Ron,

The Robert you (and Roughdiamond) mention above is 100% my relation. The names of the siblings are a spot-on match! I have done little research on this line due to a lack of information and progress but I think this may kickstart things.

My sincerest thanks to you and all those who contributed to this thread! I will post updates here in case they are of use and interest to others.

-Daniel

Hi Ron,

The Robert you (and Roughdiamond) mention above is 100% my relation. The names of the siblings are a spot-on match! I have done little research on this line due to a lack of information and progress but I think this may kickstart things.

My sincerest thanks to you and all those who contributed to this thread! I will post updates here in case they are of use and interest to others.

-Daniel

Maybe we are related waaaaay back! Someone sent me pages and pages and pages of genealogy stuff which I have not looked at for a while. Some of them went to the States. When I have a minute I will look again. There was certainly a "Daniel" Finlayson.

Hazel

Maybe we are related waaaaay back! Someone sent me pages and pages and pages of genealogy stuff which I have not looked at for a while. Some of them went to the States. When I have a minute I will look again. There was certainly a "Daniel" Finlayson.

Hazel

Wouldn't that be neat! I need to relay this to my uncle, who is more directly related to this branch, and see what he might be able to add to it.

Wouldn't that be neat! I need to relay this to my uncle, who is more directly related to this branch, and see what he might be able to add to it.

Hi Daniel,

I traced "your" Robert's family back to 1925 and they were all born in Stirlingshire. Robert's father Alexander and his father John. Several of my Finlaysons emigrated. Most went to Canada, but some went to the States. One John Macleman Finlayson went to New York and married a Helen (or Nellie) something and died in Brooklyn. His son, Gordon died in Richmond Virginia. Gordon had a few kids, and one of them is Roderick Campbell Finlayson who is/was an anaesthetist in Gainsville Georgia. Don't think it has anything to do with "your" Finlaysons I'm afraid unless the father of John, (who was born in 1825) had roots in Cromarty. My Finlaysons all had their roots in Cromarty.

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

Honestly, I did not even have Aexander's father's name, so I am not going to be much help in that department, I'm afraid. I see quite a few Finlaysons commemorated on CWGC but I cannot make any connections (which, I would say, is a good thing) but I will continue to put the scattered pieces together and perhaps one day I will find something conclusive. :)

Take care,

Daniel