Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery

pete130356

Having researched my grandfathers first world war military history I found out that he served with the R.A. as a driver with the 76th Brigade Ammunition column, which supplied the 76th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. I`d be interested to know how the ( B A C ) operated, ie. operational size, number of guns supplied.. etc..

A field artillery brigade ammunition column (BAC) consisted of a captain, commanding the BAC, two lieutenants, a BSM, BQMS, Farrier Serjeant, 4 Shoeing Smiths, 2 saddlers, 2 wheelers, a trumpeter, 4 serjeants, 5 corporals, 5 bombardiers, 30 gunners, 96 drivers, and 3 officer's batmen. The BAC supplied ammunition to the batteries of the brigade and had no guns itself. It contained 18 limbered ammunition wagons, three six-horse General Service wagons for rifle ammunition, and three four-horse GS wagons and 7 two-horse carts for rifle ammunition. a six-horse GS wagon for technical stores, a two-horse cart for water, a bicycle and 16 spare horses. A BAC was organized to serve the three batteries of the brigade and one infantry brigade.

In May 1916 the brigades were reorgainzed and the BAC were done away with and Divisional Ammunition Columns established.

The 76th Brigade RFA was originally assigned to the Guards Division and consisted of A, B, and C Battery all armed with 18 pdrs and a BAC. On 19 January 1917 it was redesignated as the 76th Army Brigade, RFA and on 7 April 1917, 503 Battery, RFA joined and was redesignated as "D" Battery.

Regards. Dick Flory