Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery

winmiller1308

This photograph includes my grandfather, Thomas William Mathias,post-58552-0-69312800-1321890486.jpg (front row - seated at far left as you look at it) who served as a second lieutentant with 121 Heavy Battery of the RGA from February 1917 until the end of the war.

The senior officer in the centre of the front row may be Major {as he would have been then) EW Goodman, but I am not certain of that.

Any assistance in identifying any other men or officers would be very welcome.

Richard Mathias

These chaps seem to be a mixed bunch. One of the officers has bright collar badges and is wearing putees, may not be a Gunner. One officer and one OR are wearing armlets, may be signal staff i.e. RE. There seem to be about 31 ORs including the three who seem to be wearing RFC jackets. I don't think that is enough for a battery. Only guesses I'm afraid!

Old Tom

Richard: I cannot find any evidence that Major E W Goodman, commanded 121st Heavy Battery. He was Adjutant of 9th Brigade, RGA in January 1916 and Battery Captain of 119th Heavy Battery on 1 January 1917. His papers at the Imperial War Museum indicate that he was Officer Commanding 119th Heavy Battery on 30 July 1917. Regards, Dick Flory

• 9 months later...