Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester or South Notts Hussar?

leofric

These two photographs are from our family collection and are thought to be of the same person, Bertie Fowler of Sneinton, Nottingham. I hope you all agree.

We know that 24125 Lance Corporal Fowler died on Saturday 20th October 1917, killed in action at Gouvy Farm near Boesinghe, Belgium. At this time he was serving with the 15th Notts and Derby Regiment. However in one of these pictures at least, he is not wearing the uniform of the Notts and Derby Regiment, it looks to me more like the South Notts Hussars. I'm not sure about the other uniform and perhaps an eagle eyed insignia spotter can work out what it is on his collar. There is also a diamond shaped badge on his upper sleeve in one picture. Does anyone know what this is?

My questions are:

Is it likely that he may have joined the South Notts Hussars originally and was then transferred to the Notts and Derby Regiment later?

Is there any clue to this in his army number?

Had he moved between Regiments would it always say so on his medal card, because his medal card only says Notts and Derby and describes him as a Private?

Can either picture be dated by either the style of uniform or the insignia worn?

Sadly I have checked Ancestry for his papers and nothing has survived and so grateful for any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks

Kevin :poppy:

post-83325-0-95736300-1321558388.jpg

post-83325-0-09557400-1321558404.jpg

His MIC only shows the Noots & Derby regiment, this means if he served with another battalion it was only for home service.

• Admin

To me the first photo looks like KOYLI but I might be totally wrong, with maybe Marksmans badge, 1 wound stripe and a good conduct stripe.Second photo he has badges on his collar- wich someone cleverer than me will probably confirm as being post WW1

Michelle

So if South Notts Hussars does not appear on his medal card it can't be Bertie? It appears unlikely that he was doing Home Service with SNH when he has a wound stripe on his sleeve.

Have attached image of the card for those without Ancestry access.

Kevin :poppy:

post-83325-0-08957300-1321570660.jpg

I know there are lots of Notts and Derby experts out there. Can one of you tell me from the collar badges if the second picture is of a Notts and Derby uniform.

I know there are lots of Notts and Derby experts out there. Can one of you tell me from the collar badges if the second picture is of a Notts and Derby uniform.

I have hundreds of images of men in uniform to this regiment and I can honestly say that they do not look like collar dogs to the Notts and Derby Regt.

The regimental number you quote is a typical 15th Battalion (Bantams) number.

Bronno.

I have hundreds of images of men in uniform to this regiment and I can honestly say that they do not look like collar dogs to the Notts and Derby Regt.

The regimental number you quote is a typical 15th Battalion (Bantams) number.

Bronno.

Bronno I am very interested in any pictures you have of the 1st batallion Sherwood Foresters prior to May 1915 I am trying to build a picture of what happened to My wifes Great Grandfather the regiment seems to have disappeard since the amalgamation with the WFR. Although the Worcesters supported the Foresters and the Eas tLancs on the attack on aubers ridge her grandfather (Who was a Sherwood Forester in WW2) never forgave the government when the regiments amalgamated!

Bronno,

I think the collar dogs in the second photo are the same as the cap badge in the first.

I have enlarged the image of the cap badge and to me it does appear to be the acorn and oak leaves of the South Notts Hussars, but I could be wrong and I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise by any experts out there.

I've also enlarged the image of his shoulder and would welcome any ideas on what the diamond shaped insignia could be.

Finally is he wearng an identity bracelet on his right wrist?

Older members of my family are still convinced that this is Bertie Fowler, but as we have already discussed, his Medal Card makes no reference to the South Notts Hussars.

post-83325-0-61645000-1322657362.jpg

post-83325-0-39012100-1322657373.jpg

Bronno,

I think the collar dogs in the second photo are the same as the cap badge in the first.

I have enlarged the image of the cap badge and to me it does appear to be the acorn and oak leaves of the South Notts Hussars, but I could be wrong and I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise by any experts out there.

I've also enlarged the image of his shoulder and would welcome any ideas on what the diamond shaped insignia could be.

Finally is he wearng an identity bracelet on his right wrist?

Older members of my family are still convinced that this is Bertie Fowler, but as we have already discussed, his Medal Card makes no reference to the South Notts Hussars.

Both sets of insignia, cap and collars are, as Michelle has correctly indicated, for the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Although the wearing of collars did not become universal until after WW1, quite a few units chose to do so without official sanction during the war and that is clearly what has happened here.

Finally yes, I do believe that is an ID bracelet on his right wrist.

post-599-0-24097000-1322756550.jpg

post-599-0-07711000-1322756579.jpg

post-599-0-08713500-1322756619.jpg

Well done Michelle - you were first in there.

So this leaves me even more confused as to why his Medal Card says Sherwood Foresters :wacko: . If he served with KOYLI on home service only he wouldn't have a wound stripe (or would he?).

• 1 month later...