Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pows Juvincourt 27th May 1918

David_Blanchard

I wonder if anyone can help with the identification of the soldier's regiment in the photo below. The 8th Division were attacked near Juvincourt on the 27th May 1918. There is some insignia on the men's tunics which could help. It also looks like white paint (to blend in with the chalky landscape?) on their helmets.

6343166935_e9438967a6_b.jpg

Hi David,

The divisional history has unit insignia illustrated at the end of the book. If nobody else beats me to it I'll check for you this evening.

All the best

Steve

It's a circle halved blue and white (assuming the date is May 1918), and one of the 8th Division insignia as Steve says, but I will leave it to him to answer!

Steve.

It's a circle halved blue and white (assuming the date is May 1918), and one of the 8th Division insignia as Steve says, but I will leave it to him to answer!

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

You didn't have to do that mate! :)

From the unit insignia in the divisional history, without a doubt the man is in the 24th Infantry Brigade. Assuming the photo is May 1918 the most likely unit is 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (the insignia looks green and white in the book to me though - but that might be my dodgy eyesight!). If the photo is pre-February 1918 then it might also be 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment (in which case the circle would be half red and half white).

All the best

Steve

Thanks guys for your help with the idenification. I am fairly certain the photograph is from 27th May 1918, so it looks likely the men are from the 1st Worcestershire Regiment.

David