Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 service of the Weld-Blundell family of Ince Blundell Hall, Ince Bl

taylov

Louis Joseph WELD-BLUNDELL 553421 16th Bn. London Regiment

A chance find on the 'Bay of a simple "In Memoriam" card for this soldier has led me to research this family and their 2 sons' service during WW1.

post-43036-0-43709000-1320331625.jpg

The Weld-Blundell family has a long history featuring in the Peerage. An early ancestor was a Lord Mayor of London in 1608. This particular branch of the family tree had their home in what is now Merseyside. The family estate was based on Ince Blundell Hall (still extant) in Ince Blundell village near Liverpool.

The head of the family in the late 1880s was Charles Joseph Weld-Blundell (1845-1927), married to Charlotte Katherine Marcia Lane-Fox (1862-1926). They had 4 children by 1891 Mary Theresa (1885); Richard Shirburne (1887); Louis Joseph (1889) and Alice Mary (1891).

Both boys were sent to private schools and then to Canada/US. Both returned in the months before War broke out, Richard on the Canadian Pacific Line ship "Lake Manitoba" in April 1914 from Montreal and Louis aboard the White Star liner "Baltic" in July 1914 from New York.

Louis was to serve through WW1 and beyond. His medal index card gives 3 service numbers 7045 and 553421 as a Private in the 16th London Regiment and also as Rifleman 1913 in the 6th Liverpool Regiment. He appears as Blundell, Louis Joseph Weld on the Medal Card which is for a 1915 Star Trio.

Curiously, the London Gazette of 1915, page 11022 states that Louis Joseph Weld-Blundell was to be commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Lancashire Hussars. However his name does not appear in this regard anywhere else in the Gazette or in any other document.

The "death card" and the CWGC records both state that Louis died at Dunkirk, France on 8th February 1919. The CWGC certificate states that he served in France in 1915 with the 6th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment and "thereafter in Egypt, Salonika and Palestine". He was serving with the 16th Bn. London Regiment (Queens Westminster Rifles) when he died.

Can anyone tell me which of his regiments is likely to have served in these theatres of war?

I cannot trace any death certificate for Louis so do not have a definite cause of death. However the date of his death coincides with the third wave of "Spanish flu" (Influenza) in France and other deaths from 'flu were reported among British troops in Northern France at this time. Louis is buried in a CWGC grave in the Dunkirk Town Cemetery.

His family had a memorial window to him installed at the Holy Family RC Church, Ince Blundell, near Liverpool. This states "PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF LOUIS JOSEPH WELD-BLUNDELL (QUEEN'S WESTMINSTER RIFLES) ENTERED JERUSALEM WITH BRITISH TROOPS DECEMBER 7TH 1917. DIED AT DUNKIRK FEB. 8TH 1919"

2ND Lt. Richard Shirburne WELD-BLUNDELL King's Liverpool Regiment.

The London Gazette of 1st June 1915 states "Second Lieutenant (on probation) Richard Weld-Blundell of the Coldstream Guards resigns his commission on account of ill-health dated 2nd June 1915". However, a second LG entry of November 5th 1915 has Richard now with the King's Liverpool Regiment "to be a Second Lieutenant and seconded for duty to a Provisional Battalion. Dated 15th September 1915".

There is a Medal Index Card for Richard which shows no medal entitlement. He is shown as a 2nd Lt. with the Liverpool Regiment (T). A note states "Apptd. Comm. 7/L'pool R. Sept. 1915", "No R/S Overseas" and "Dec'd 1/1/16"

I acquired a copy of Richard's death certificate. It took some finding as his family name had been altered and the record was for a "Richard S.W. Blundell". He had died at 19 Albion St, Ramsgate, Kent on 1st January 1916. The cause of death was given as "Injuries to the brain caused by a fall accidental death". The certificate refers to confusion as to whether the death had occurred before or after the turn of the year.

Richard also has a memorial window in the family church at Ince Blundell. This reads "PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF RICHARD SHIRBOURNE WELD-BLUNDELL WHO DIED WHILE SERVING WITH THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT. AT RAMSGATE JAN 1ST 1916, AGED 28"

In February 1915, Richard had married Mary Angela Mayne at Ipswich, Suffolk and at the time of his death his wife was living at Broughton Place, Ipswich. She had borne Richard a daughter just a month before his death. The daughter, Mary Agnes Weld-Blundell, married the British diplomat Sir Paul Francis Grey KCMG (1908-90) in 1936 and who as Lady Mary Grey died in 2011 at Ince Blundell House (which since 1959 had been a Catholic Nursing Home). A circle completed.

Any more information about the military records of the Weld-Blundell's would be most welcome.

Tony

6th KLR were only in France

http://www.1914-1918.net/kings.htm

1/6th Battalion (Rifles)

August 1914 : in Princes Park Barracks, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.

25 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 15th Brigade, 5th Division.

18 November 1915 : left Brigade and attached as Army Troops to Third Army.

26 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

as were the 16th London

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

1/16th (County of London) Battalion (Queen's Westminster Rifles)

August 1914 : at 58 Buckingham Gate. Part of 4th London Brigade, 2nd London Division. Moved on mobilisation to Hemel Hempstead area.

3 November 1914 : left the Division and landed at Le Havre.

12 November 1914 : came under command of 18th Brigade in 6th Division.

10 February 1916 : transferred to 169th Brigade in 56th (London) Division.

There is a 2nd Lt.Herbert.J.Weld Blundell who joined the Lancashire Hussars on 24th July 1880. This is the only mention of this officer I can find in the in the paperwork I have for the Lancashire Hussars .

There is however confirmation that L.J.Weld Blundell joined as a 2nd Lt.in 1916.

P.B.

img003-2.jpg

There is a 2nd Lt.Herbert.J.Weld Blundell who joined the Lancashire Hussars on 24th July 1880. This is the only mention of this officer I can find in the in the paperwork I have for the Lancashire Hussars .

P.B.

Thanks for that information.

Herbert Joseph Weld-Blundell (1852-1935) was the uncle of Louis and Richard. He was the younger brother of their father, Charles. He appears to have spent WW1 in Chile returning to the UK in 1919 (he would have been 62 years old in 1914). He gave his address on his return as Queens' College, Oxford.

His entry in Wikipedia suggests a full and interesting life !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Weld_Blundell

Tony

• 4 months later...

Tony, came across this notice in files and just out of habit search CWGC for R S Weld Blundell and i cant seem to

find, so i google name and it took me to your post.

I have transcibe the notice but if needed orignal PM and i will send.

OFFICER KILLED BY FALL. Jan 1916. Belfast Telegraph.

"The death of 2nd Lt R.S. Weld Blundell, heir to the Ince Blundell esate, Lancashire, was the subject of an inquest at Ramsgate, on Monday. It was stated that about 11pm. on Friday the deceased was found lying unconscious outside his billeting quarters, with a serious wound on the back of his head, and he died soon afterwards.

It was thought that deceased slipped on the steps and fell, striking his head against an iron rain pipe at the edge of kerb.

A verdict of accidental death was returned".

"The death of 2nd Lt R.S. Weld Blundell, heir to the Ince Blundell esate, Lancashire, was the subject of an inquest at Ramsgate, on Monday. It was stated that about 11pm. on Friday the deceased was found lying unconscious outside his billeting quarters, with a serious wound on the back of his head, and he died soon afterwards.

It was thought that deceased slipped on the steps and fell, striking his head against an iron rain pipe at the edge of kerb.

A verdict of accidental death was returned".

Found on New Year's Eve at 11pm - most likely a result of an evening celebrating and falling on the steps on his return. How sad. We often forget that in the midst of death on the battlefield, many soldiers died in very ordinary circumstances.

Many thanks

Tony

Ah this explains how Captain GF Montagu married the sister, changed his name to Weld-Blundell, and inherited the house.

I wondered what happened to Richard.

Found on New Year's Eve at 11pm - most likely a result of an evening celebrating and falling on the steps on his return. How sad. We often forget that in the midst of death on the battlefield, many soldiers died in very ordinary circumstances.

Many thanks

Tony

My recollection is that the pamphlet that is/was available at Ince Blundell Hall referred to Richard Weld Blundell as "having slipped on ice whilst leaving church". This may possibly be a sanitized truth but it is certainly a possibility as he would be a devout Roman Catholic (old Lancashire recusant family) who might well have attended a New Year's Eve mass or watch night service. There again, it might be my faulty recollection; I thought I had a copy but cannot find it to check. I will try to get another.

I was brought up only a mile from the Hall (and remember being taken round in the 1950s when it was still in the possession of the relicts of family). Ince Blundell Hall has several excellent architectural features, a garden temple, a fine church at one end of the house from which there is direct access (certainly no meagre chapel) and at the other end a fine pantheon built specifically to house the magnicent collection of classical statuary assembled by Henry Blundell and that is now seen in the National Museums Liverpool (especially in the Walker Art Gallery when on display). The Weld-Blundells are not to be confused with their (possibly) very distant cousins, the Blundells of Little Crosby who are still in possession of Crosby Hall about two miles from Ince Blundell, now as the Whitlock-Blundells. This is probably the sort of estate that has not passed by purchase in six or seven hundred years. My understanding is that one of the Blundells of Crosby also served in the Lancashire Hussars in WW1* and that a member of the family was editing his letters at present. This might be a source of confusion in identifying Blundells. I will put my cap in hand and ask "oop at t'big 'ouse" when the opportunity arises.

Here endeth the 1000th Post (I think) :hypocrite: (and first emoticon)

Ian

*Captain Francis Nicholas Blundell (later an MP)

Edited by Ian Riley

• 1 year later...
Guest WLRainford

Tony,

My uncle, Richard Leo Rainford (Known as Leo), DOB 04-04-1897, sign up under age, for the 6th Battalion King’s Liverpool Regiment in 1914, I believe he was mentioned in dispatches after being wounded (Shot in the hand) carrying his 2nd Lieutenant off the battlefield.

His 2nd Lieutenant was, Robert Shivbourne Weld-Blundell of Ince Blundell Hall, Blundell Sands and I always understood that he died of his injuries, until I read your post.

I know that Robert’s grateful family allowed my uncle to live in the Lodge gatehouse at Ince Blundell Hall (Moor Lane gates right-hand side) and he continued to live there after the Hall was sold, until his death on the 6th Sept 1965.

I have checked www.forces-war-records.co.uk and so found no record for Richard Leo Rainford. There is a Richard Rainford who was a cousin, service No 6058 King’s Liverpool Regiment, who was a similar age but was killed in action on the 24th Sept 1916 aged 19 years.

WLRainford

Hello WLRainford,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a Medal Index Card to a PTE. Richard L Rainford, Liverpool Regt. 3723 and then the 7th KLR 266242. Earned the Victory and British Medals. He is shown on the Silver War Badge Rolls as enlisting 20/1/15, discharged 1/2/19 whilst serving with the 7th KLR. Age 22 in 1920. Cause of discharge, 392 (XVIA). Served overseas? Yes.

Wrong Battalion and enlistment date but his age and his award of his SWB might fit your Uncles details.

Regards. Joe.

Guest WLRainford

Joe,

Thank you. The enlistment date is about right as he would have been only 17 in January 1915 and he was in France within 2 weeks of enlisting. I knew he had been shot in the hand but it was not until just before he died in 1965 that we discovered that, as the doctors said, "He was full of shrapnel". The 2nd Lieutenant was reported to be in the 6th KLR while my Uncle was in the 7th KLR would that be normal or could this be due to heavy losses in both Battalions?

Thank you again for your help.

Wilf.

• 6 months later...

If anyone is still interested in the Weld-Blundell family, I have this lengthy and detailed obituary for Richard Shirburne taken from the Formby Times (8 Jan 1916).

FormbyTimes8Jan1916_zps254c48c4.jpg.4153d716131518866243bf91acbee668.jpg

His death and funeral received quite a bit of coverage in the local press. I also have this photo from the Southport Visiter (11 Jan 1916):

post-89772-0-11959800-1406544360_thumb.j

Some photos of his grave at Ince Blundell Cemetery...

post-89772-0-42038000-1406544714_thumb.j

post-89772-0-31361700-1406544722_thumb.j

Considering the amount of press given to Richard, I found very little for the younger brother Louis Joseph. This brief report from the Formby Times (15 Feb 1919) seems to be about it...

post-89772-0-04361600-1406545689_thumb.j