Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Queen Elizabeth

Rockdoc

In this thread, about the shooting down of Zeppelin LZ-85 in March 1916, a French record has been posted that suggests the Queen Elizabeth opened fire on the airship with her 15" guns but that at least one shell landed in a British camp beyond Salonika and caused considerable damage - hardly a surprising result! However, it's been suggested that this record is incorrect because QE was outside the Mediterranean. Can anyone clear this up?

Keith

Thanks. That sorts that bit out but leaves open the identity of the ship that did fire at the Zep.

Keith

I have almost no idea which ships were stationed at Salonika or Stavros during the War. The only time I've found anything out about the Navy's participation was when a German U-boat attacked Stavros in 1918 and torpedoed a couple of ships that are named in the War Diary of 95th AA Section. Anything you can add that might be useful would be much appreciated.

Keith

LORD NELSON and AGAMEMNON were based at Mudros but one or the other sometimes visited Salonika. There seems to be some mention of AGAMEMNON firing 12pdrs in the thread referred to. She may have fired her 12" guns as well. It would not have been the only occasion that a British battleship used her main armament against Zepellins. However, firing such weapons in the open sea is one thing; using them when the overs will land ashore is another. It seems unlikely but, if it happened, someone should have got a rocket.

Thanks for this. I have no idea whether we can take this forward without being able to access the disciplinary records for the time and without a definite candidate for the ship involved I wouldn't think that would be easy. Undoubtedly, if even one 12" or 15" shell landed in or even near to a camp the potential damage would be awful so a rocket would have to have been applied to a number of Naval posteriors.

Keith