Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private OWEN GARVEY 64790 Northumberland Fusiliers

RaySearching

Hi all

I have today just finished a Mini Biography of the following Chap

Private OWEN GARVEY

And by sheer Coincidence I have just noticed its the anniversary of his death today

In remembrance of Owen Garvey

Private OWEN GARVEY

64790 Northumberland Fusiliers

46547, 15th Bn., Durham Light Infantry

Owen was killed in action with the Durham Light Infantry just after the 2nd Battle of Bapaume on 10th September 1918

Born Feb 17 1899 Owen aged 18 enlisted into the training Bn K.O.Y.L.I and given the service number 82555 his address is given as his parents, at 30 Italy Street Middlesbrough

He was posted to the West Riding Regiment on completion of his training and transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers Pte 64790

Owen served with the Northumberland Fussiliers from 28/3/1918 , the date of his arrival in France ,to 17/6/18 on which date he was transferred to the Durham Light Infantry and given the service number 46547

He was the son of Annie Gaffney (previously Rafferty) nee Garvey and the stepson of Edward Gaffney a Dock labourer (his Mother Annie married Edward Gaffney in Middlesbrough in 1906 ) his mother having previously married Peter Rafferty in 1900 (Peter died in 1902 aged 26)

His mothers age is given as 28 on the 1911 census , which would make her just 16 when Owen was born

Owen can be found on the 1911 census residing with his mother and stepfather Edward a schoolboy aged 12

at 1 Hordons Buildings Middlesbrough

on the 1901 census Annie and ,Peter Rafferty and Owen can be found residing at 54 Kendal Street Middlesbrough

Owen was initially Buried close to where he fell , His body was exhumed late in 1919 and reburied in Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery

(His medals were stamped with the 1st unit and no of the regiment he first served with in France Pte 64790 Northumberland Fusiliers)

Born and enlisted Middlesbrough

GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

regards Ray

Ray,

Many thanks for this. The impact this had on Annie would most likley have been terrible, particulary as she was a young mother. Do you know if there is an inscription on his grave?

Kind regards,

Steve Garnett

Hi Steve

I have not had sight of a photo of his headstone

some forum member who has a photo may pick up on this .and let you have the details you request

Alternatively you could post a request for a pic of the headstone under the photo wants section

regards Ray