Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H. R. Malet, R.G.A.

BottsGreys

I recently saw a Harrington & Richardson .32 caliber Self-loading Model pistol for sale (they were manufactured from 1916-1924). It has a low serial number. It was identified on the slide "H.R. Malet, R.G.A."

Assuming that the RGA is for Royal Garrison Artillery and that this was an officer's private-purchase sidearm, anyone have any suggestions on identifying H.R. Malet? I have checked the MICs, but no go.

Chris

A few London Gazette mentions from searching for "H. R. Malet", then "Malet", then by full name through Google:

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 18 FEBRUARY, 1916.

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned Gentleman Cadets, from the Royal Military Academy, to be Second Lieutenants. Dated 19th February, 1916: — ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY.; Royal Garrison Artillery.

Henry Roger Malet.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 JANUARY, 1918 (Issue 30503, page 1509)

R.G.A. - The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be Lts., and to retain their temp, or actg. rank where specified: — 19th Aug. 1917. (Actg. Capt.) H. R. Malet.

Military Cross Gazetted in SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1918 - Lt. (A./Capt.) Henry Roger Malet, R.G.A.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 JUN 1919 (Issue 31424, page 8188)

R.G.A. - The undermentioned relinquish the actg. rank of Maj.: — Lt. H. R. Malet, M.C. 9th June 1919.

RR:

Thank you for the info--I didn't think to check the LG. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf!

Chris

Major Henry Roger Malet, RGA

Born 24 April 1896, the son of Henry Malet, MD

Educated at Wolverhampton Grammar School from 1909 to 1915 (Prefect; Cricket XI, 1915; Football XI, 1914-1915, Captain)

Gentleman Cadet, RMA, Woolwich, 1915

2nd Lieut. RGA, 19 Feb 16

Lieut, RGA, 19 Aug 17

Acting Captain, 23 Jan 17 to 10 Dec 18

Acting, Major, 11 Dec 18 to 8 Jun 19

Military Cross, London Gazette 3 June 1918.

From 1920 until his death he was a Lieutenant in 19 Medium Battery, V Medium Brigade, RGA at Tallaght Camp near Dublin, Ireland.

Accidentally shot and killed at Dublin, 10 March 1922

Sources: Wolverhampton Grammar School Register 1515-1920; Royal Artillery Regimental News,April 1922; RA Seniority and Distribution List, January 1922; various Army Lists.

Regards, Dick Flory

JD:

Thanks for the BMJ article regarding Dr. Malet. For a man already in declining health, I'm sure the news the following year of the death of a second son was devastating.

Hi Dick:

Thanks for the detailed bio--great info and very much appreciated. I suppose that to find out which, if any, batteries he served with during the war, I would have to go to his service record?

I have completed the deal today on the pistol. I will post some photos when it arrives.

Chris

IPT--that's a scary thought. Actually, on the gun-data.com site, I see that the .32 caliber version of this pistol first came out in 1916. Given the range of serial numbers for that year, 0001-3800, Major Malet's was made that first year--1916.

• 1 month later...

I hope that's not what he was shot and killed with!

No. It was the pistol of a Lt.Caple that killed him. Investigation proved that it had a broken safety catch/trigger spring which made it liable to shoot by just being jarred and without touching the trigger. Lt.Caple was exonerated from all blame in Malet's death (as was Malet himself!)

Dave

Investigation proved that it had a broken safety catch/trigger spring which made it liable to shoot by just being jarred and without touching the trigger.

Incidentally, Caple's pistol had earlier been dropped out of the holster which probably accounted for the broken spring. He stated that , after dropping it, he returned it to the holster without checking it and didn't look at it again until the 'incident'. A pure accident.

Dave

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Lieut H R Malet MC is remembered on the headstone of the family grave in St Colman's churchyard, Newcastle Co. Down as is his brother Lieut F L Malet.

I assume he is interred here.  I have photographs which are too large to attach.

John